LA Power Outage and Microsoft...

Started by Tazinator, September 12, 2005, 05:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Why are MS people so die hard and anti-Linux? I dont get it.

http://news.com.com/Power+outage+unplugs+Microsoft+conference/2100-1016_3-5861139.html?tag=nefd.top

Quote"Damn Linux-based power supplies,"

I dont get it. Dont they realize had it been an Exchange server that suffered this outage god help them if they didnt have a database corruption result, wouldnt see that with Sendmail or Postfix.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

September 12, 2005, 06:32:19 PM #1 Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 06:43:48 PM by Metgod
Same kind of attitude some Linux people have though .... Same with BSD and probably any other OS ... sadly. It's just stupid.

I used to be partake in that crap, but I realized how stupid that is and stopped.

I wish people would get out of their shell or whatever, and realize that you SHOULD USE WHAT WORKS FOR _YOU_.

But somehow I doubt that'll ever happen, since people love to argue over the most ridiculous of things ...

As for the power outage... I was close but I wasn't effected. Thankfully. Kind of funny what they think the cause is though .. (cut cable).

Edit: or should I say.. what they THOUGHT was the cause... although the true reason still amuses me slightly ..
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Word up Metty, stupid OS biggots.  Though, admittedly I used to be one of them.

I bet I've heard more arguments on which is the best BSD (fbsd, openbsd, netbsd) than I care to.

It's about as bad as PC v. Mac wars. (*eyes everyone suspiciously*)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

September 12, 2005, 08:21:58 PM #3 Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 08:23:36 PM by Metgod
Well I think the same thing applies: use what works for you. Macs are great for artist as one example. I admittedly don't know much about macs, but that's an example I do know since my step mother is an artist.

I think macs are neat, although I don't use them. I'd love to try out OS X and such though.

I'd even use X (x11) on my x86 machines, but since I only have one monitor, it's kind of a pain to switch back and forth (not to mention hard to use multiple mice and keyboards [don't have a kvm switch that works well for me]). So instead I just use win as my gui, and then ssh into my servers. Works nicely considering I do stuff at the shell anyway (code!).

In those rare cases I need to see the actual console, I just use the kvm switch (monitor part only) and pick up the other keyboard and set it on my lap.

Although it might not work for others, it works for me great.

And uhm.. I'm rambling so I'll shut up.

Oh, and FreeBSD is so much nicer than the others (I should know, I used to use FreeBSD)! ;D
"My Terminal is my Soul"

9 times out of 10, someone who boasts about Windows and trashes everything else has never used or cant use anything else. Ive found this through my travels in IT. Those who squawk the loudest have the most to hide.

September 13, 2005, 04:59:29 PM #5 Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 05:03:39 PM by Metgod
That's quite true...

It's not just in the real (and real internet -- i.e., not underground related/security related) world, but in the underground too...

It seems it's a thing humans must do; they don't know something, so they insult someone else out of fear they'll be deemed ignorant -- or worse -- stupid.. Not to say that's always the case, but often it is.

I don't understand it. At least I don't understand it from ADULTS (of course, the definition of adult is always loosely defined). I think a lot of kids do things like that (out of anger or out of low self esteem or whatever), but adults... that is just sad.

But the worst of it all is the OS war type of competing. Which I suppose this article was of (at least the moron who made the comment about linux). Okay, the worst of it is actually those who insult an OS because they can't use anything but the one they use...

But it's all just stupid.

Oh.. and then there's something else! If it wasn't for unix based systems (which linux is), half the sites the biggots go on to, probably wouldn't even exist. Hell, the Internet wouldn't be what it was today without it. And I imagine most of their pop3/smtp/et al servers they have are linux. Tell that to them though, and they'll laugh (which only shows their true ignorance).

I actually had someone tell me unix is dead a few years ago. HAHA. The most amusing part was that he was on irc, and the ircd was on UNIX based OSes...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

If the net ran all IIS and Exchange boxes, there would be a lot more hacks and SPAM would be even more out of control then it is already.

Most IIS and Exchange admins dont know how to properly set the system up for exposure to the net. I remember a friend telling me the story of an Win2K/EX5.5 server a co-worker of his set up on the net (no firewall in front) and the thing was hacked in less than 4 hours ;)

Yeah... scary thought, huh ?

Very scary thought...

Although sometimes I kind of wish the clueless ones could get a clue (especially if that means give them a day with all windows machines, and then increase the traffic for them a bit).

Ah well.. I guess that'll never happen (even though it could prove interesting to me).

And I don't doubt that story one bit.. what with all the exploits out there, and scanners.. haha. Not very surprising at all.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk