Internet protocols

Started by godaigo, February 12, 2002, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, first of all the new boards look great! Secondly, on to my question.... Where to get started about TCP/IP
and packets (transfer, formation, the whole enchilada :) Does anybody have a recommendation as far as books to
check, RFC's, etc?
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

Actually, to start off do some web searches at your favorite search engine.
Some things I suggest you look into are:

the OSI (Open System Interconnection) Model. It is a DE FACTO STANDARD. Learn it. Live it. :)
the TCP/IP stack for sure (obviously). Learn the basic yet complicated protocols such as
IP, TCP, ICMP, and other services that interest you. Unfortunately, over the long years I've
been around -- ask anyone and they'll tell you I've been around for a long time -- I have lost some
documents. I *may* have them on CD but I have no idea where to begin looking.

Try reading some zines (or even books.. there are some nice books on TCP/IP) like X-Zine
(HFX's zine published by me [though not every issue will have
stuff on TCP/IP; for instance, the first issue] -- news on that to come up shortly),
Keen Veracity (LoU's zine), Phrack, 2600, etc.

Erm.. what else...
Basically read what interests you. READ READ READ and EXPERIMENT LIKE CRAZY !!!!
Just be careful you don't fuck anything up...
I or someone else can help you out more if you have any questions...

I had some other stuff on my mind but can't think of it anymore (these days my memory is
awful...)
Just let us know, we're glad to see activity

Peace

- Metty
"My Terminal is my Soul"

god damnit !!!
my signature is fucked up !! I'll fix that later
"My Terminal is my Soul"

You really should learn what the OSI model is too. And then, forget about it.

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

didn't I mention OSI model ? :)

"My Terminal is my Soul"

damn. Sorry Metty. Not enough caffeine in me I guess....

Wilnix

no worries :)
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Here's an idea: learn about routing protocols like RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, etc...

Wilnix

Thanks guys, any recommendations for literature. I know that there are definately programming books that I prefer over others. If not I'm sure that this is definately enough to get me started. Cheers....
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

I always make a point that if I am not 100% sure of the book I am getting, I will physically go to the bookstore and read through every boook I can find on the topic, then buy. I hate buying books that suck...

Wilnix

Take a little read through this:

http://www.net-hamster.org/Books/Illustrated/Volume%20I/

I haven't read it myself yet but i plan to when i get some time. Quite a lot of topics there by the looks of it.

That's a pretty good resource. Taking a couple of hours to read through it could bring a person up-to-speed on protocols.

I will definately bookmark this link for others...

Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk