'extranet'

Started by Metgod, December 22, 2002, 12:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, I couldn't think of where to post this. Given that rumors are generally not anything confirmed, and this isn't exactly a standard yet.. they are in some twisted ways related so I'm posting it here.. This was from webopedia.internet.com term of the day..

Comments of validity or just in general ?

Met

term: extranet

A new buzzword that refers to an intranet that is partially accessible to
authorized outsiders. Whereas an intranet resides behind a firewall and is
accessible only to people who are members of the same company or
organization, an extranet provides various levels of accessibility to
outsiders. You can access an extranet only if you have a valid username
and password, and your identity determines which parts of the extranet you
can view.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I don't get it  ???
It doesn't even sound right or anything close to what I have read/learned about networking.
Is it just me....?

No, actually, it isn't just you. I won't make any comments about the validity because honestly, I am unsure about a lot of things lately. Too bloody exhausted, and not keeping up on things like I used to. And I thought 6 months ago I was bad at that... That's what happens when you have no schedule.. you're doing nothing... and you're not reading and experimenting like you used to.

That's a problem with a lot of fields: stop and you can really lose a lot you knew. Not to say I don't know a lot; just that I don't know nearly as much as I *could*. Sad thing is that my knowledge about another topic (medical information) is kind of uhm.. lower than it was and should be too. Or perhaps it is the confirmed short term memory loss I have.. I don't know...

Ah well... I am doing quite well, given all the health problems I have.. thanks for your comments CBK.. appreciate it.

Anyhow.. no, I don't think the definition here sounds right at all.. That's probably one of the reasons I put it here.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Actually, I've heard and used the term extranet myself... Not in that exact context however and our definition for extranet is a little different here at work.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Can't say I'm surprised that Neek has heard it, and that he used it differently.. It was, however, a new term to me. But regardless, no matter where you go or who you ask, there will be different definitions for words. It's that simple. Even different dictionaries (non tech or tech related) could have different definitions. So I can't say it's surprising that Neek had heard it (he hears everything.. err, well maybe not EVERYTHING... afterall, he still doesn't know that I have been profiling him since 1998.. err.. hehe or not), nor can I say I am surprised he used it differently. As he once said...  (not sure if exact same words but..)...

"In this industry, terms are like assholes; everyone has one."

Honestly, that makes pretty good sense. It sums it up quite nicely.

So there you have it. Extranet. Before I finish up...

Neek, what would your definition be and how would you use it ?

And anyone else ?

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I've used the term in the exact context as the definition above. It's basically extending your intRanet services to authorized and authenticated users who are physically not within the network(s) you control. Kinda like a VPN....

Another definition from techtarget:
An extranet is a private network that uses the Internet protocol and the public telecommunication system to securely share part of a business's information or operations with suppliers, vendors, partners, customers, or other businesses. An extranet can be viewed as part of a company's intranet that is extended to users outside the company. It has also been described as a "state of mind" in which the Internet is perceived as a way to do business with other companies as well as to sell products to customers.

Does that help?

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Okay, just being myself *grin*

how can it be secure if it is on a public system.. isn't it supposed to be priavte ? :)

well, nevermind.. again, it entertains me to find flaws everywhere.. I especially hate it when I make the mistakes BUT.. I always try to correct myself.. anyhow...

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Metty-

To be quite honest, the idea is secure but the reality is not. It isnt ENTIRELY public. Only those given the AAA award are allowed through, like customers, vendors, etc...

Of course, that never survives the reality of user/pass discovery very long, right?

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Sounds good to me yes.. That is often how it works.

I was just making a stupid joke to be honest.. since they go over public channels, it certainly can't be secure. :)

Kind of like phone convos, wireless stuff isn't 100% secure (is anything ?). Nor are other things..

But I agree that in theory it's secure but in reality it just doesn't work out. There are so many things like that.. Whether it is technology or whatever. It can happen in any other field.. whether is is medicine, some methods done by gov't, et. al.

Now that you've responded to some posts of mine, did you take a look at those articles I posted (more to come eventually) ? Some are really pathetic, some are interesting though. :)

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

actually I have some comments on that post to make that amuse me somehow.. but I need to get to bed..

will reply when I can.. :)

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Same as Uneek, I've used and tossed that term around myself a bit, but never in that context either.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk