Technology Headlines (Week of 03-10-02)

Started by Uneek, March 13, 2002, 01:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thought I'd start a new thread under this heading for interresting headlines outlined by date (week).
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Airforce demands more secure products from Microsoft! About friggin' time a big player does...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/03/11/gilligan.htm

Network Associates is closing shop on PGP. They couldn't find a buyer, so they're letting it go... Is this a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion? My opinion is two fold... It sucks that it will not be developed further as I use PGP extensively and really like the technology, however it might be good because Zimmerman is pushing for NAI to release the source code. What do you guys think?

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0306naipgp.html

I think Network Associates is full of hippies and crack addicts, but I like PGP. Guess I'll stick with GPG...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Network Associate are lame ass pathetic security wannabes.
Their McAffe AV is the biggest shit on market. I swear to god.
Let me tell you two stories. They detected one of my boot sector viruses (that I wrote)
as a complete other one. THey couldn't clean it, etc. It was sad when I tested it.
Come to my surprise that when I booted up I was infected with another virus. BS !!!

and...

A good mate of mine some years back rooted NAI and set up an ftp server... or should
I say modified their server. He made it where ANYONE could download ANYTHING (mcafee,
and anything else). Not only that, logging was disabled. Sure, doesn't sound too impressive.
Okay, get this: they didn't notice for 2+ years !! 2+ years I tell you !!!
That is utterly pathetic. Great security, huh ?
Yeah I really trust them. Too be honest I didn't know that PGP was developed by NAI, but
that fact is scary.

Uhh, yeah, great jobs NAI.. HAH !
"My Terminal is my Soul"

It wasn't developed by NAI. I was created by Phil Zimmerman. NAI bought the technology later. I personally can't stand NAI or most of their child companies. PGP was the one product that they had I liked, (prolly cause all they added to the product was their name).

mmmmmkay...

PGP is pretty cool, but if it went away I probably wouldn't care. Although, if NAI went away I would smile...

Wilnix

Recently, the in relation to the state of California, some key systems were cracked. Information about the CDF, payroll, Riverside County and other state stuff sensitive info (payroll ect.) was SEVERLY compromised. It was so intense, they sent out letterz to some state employees. Just a tidbit to get stuff generated more. Any thoughts? They did hire, well riverside county, an "unnamed" security team to lock things up like fort knox.

My thoughts: Companies that dont put the effort to lock the network and hosts down from the start are like the people who leave their cars running while they run into the store. It's bound to happen sometime...

Afterwards is too late...

Wilnix

I just heard that the congress is going to make the penalty for hacking life in prision, life in f***ing prison.For what making them feel stupid b/c their security sux. So every one watch out pick up a mouse and you will die in jail that is like the most $h*t i have ever heard. O well they can t get us were the gingerbread men.

There is a feeze in cyber $pace
                -AbsoLute_ZeRo

uhh, ... hack ? Right. And what is there idea of 'hacking' ? Defacing a website ? hahaha
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I think that it is about time they start locking people up for breaking into a computer system that isn't theirs. I have vital information on servers I don't have control of, and I don't want some asshole teenager getting my info and selling it off to some fucked up company for cheap just so they can abuse it.
I get enough telemarketing phone calls as it is...

Wilnix

yeah.. I think the problem lies in that some have ethics, some don't..
it's like this:

if someone breaks into the Pentagon, and steals top secret info or nuclear type info..
that can be dangerous.. and as far as defacing sites.. that's pretty fucking lame...
or rm -rf / type deals...

but then we have the other side with ethics:

someone breaks into the pentagon, patches the hole, and maybe help out a bit,
that's different. The problem is, most people are in the first group.

If people
would just leave other peoples stuff alone, stop snooping, stealing, etc., maybe
it wouldn't be so horrible of a thing. Problem is, most kids, think it's funny to
be cruel, destructive, etc... so you know what kiddies.. fuck you and I hope you
get into trouble for even ruining the name hacker.. you should be shot dead.. how's
that as opposed to just jail time eh ? and no, I'm not joking.. destruction sucks.
kids are just total assholes. I hated being a teenager, I really did. I hated HS with a
passion because of the fucking kids there. so kiddies, you keep it up, one day
you're going to be in serious trouble, and basically ruin your life.. good, I'm glad.
that's what you deserve. but for fucks sake, you are not hackers.

regards,

a truly pissed Metgod (regarding the kids)
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk