HELP COMPUTER VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Dean, October 02, 2004, 07:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
My computer is restarting by its self every min. ITS STUPID help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Numerous complaints of the maturity level of posts.

October 02, 2004, 07:04:45 PM #1 Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 07:05:08 PM by Dean
o yeah im on my friend computer please get back to me as soon a.s.a.p.

Here, give your computer these pills, they should help clear its insanity. Trust me, they give them to me a lot. Honestly. I'm a lunatic. Just ask everyone else here. I'm always in the hospital. It's just what kind of hospital no one is sure about.

No, really, I'm very serious.

Actually, to be even more serious (not saying I wasn't serious earlier) :

You once again did not give any info to help you on. For all we know it could just be windows playing its buggy self. You never know. Windows is known to reboot itself afterall. Don't believe me ? WELL IT'S TRUE!

Or maybe it's something malicious. Like a Windows bu.. err, I mean.. like a virus, yeah like a virus ! That's exactly what I meant...

Dean, no one is going to help you if you just ignore the very serious questions they ask ...you know, they just won't take you serious if you don't.

In other words, either TELL us what you WANT -- IN DETAIL -- or NOTHING at all.

You don't go to the doctor and say "I think I am sick" and expect them to not ask questions, do you ? Err -- forget I asked that. You should not do that. It's wasting their time. And likewise, you're wasting ours. The only reason I am responding is because I find this incredibly amusing!

I don't know if it's from sheer laziness or sheer ignorance (note I said ignorance, not stupidity), but at any rate, you aren't giving us enough information to help you and this is why you've received no help thus far.

And at this rate, I dare think that you will never give us information. Or by the time you do, everyone will be boared (sic) of you.

If you think it's a virus, don't come to us... go to the virus experts... like any one else would ... Just not the pro-virus people. Trust me on that one. I've seen one too many of those folks fool unsuspecting users into doing things that made computers infected with viruses even worse (and that's the most serious statement you'll get from me tonight as the voices in my head are starting to holler at me, telling me to get the hell to bed...).

Oh, btw, your subject sounds like you're asking me to help the computer virus.. do you really want that ? *smiles nastily*

.... oh go to bed Metty! oooh.. they're threatening me now .... ! off I go....

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Haha .. Metty yer on a soap box :) haha

Okay Dean.. You need to tell us more info than what you have.

Update your AV and do a system scan if you think it is a virus. Have you checked any hardware issues? Did you install any new software or hardware before it started rebooting? Think back to what you did the day before it started rebooting on you. THat way you will get a better feel for what could be wrong or if it is a virus where it may of come from.

Okay .. So try these few steps to begin with..

Find out roughly how long your system stays up before rebooting.

Boot into safemode and see if it reboots from there.

Whilst in safemode, update you AV (Anti-Virus) and do a full system scan.

Tell us your findings.

Do that to start with and see how you get on.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Ok sorry guys i was really in a rush thats why i did not explain myself. I have a windows XP and it has seem to be working pretty good over the past few years. But now this year its acting up. Just one day it keeps on restarting when im loged on to my username (when you first start up the computer and you have to pick a username to log in). In a mater of minutes it restarts by its seft WITHOUT going through the steps (like saving your settings...... and windows is shuting down.....). Im pretty sure this is a virus because on msconfig it says a weird name. Heres the name the person called it dumprep 0-k. The command it that msconfig say it did whats something like "%system%.....). I made a virus like this but never saw what it did. I hope i explained myself if i did not please tell me. THANKS....
~Dean~

O yeah i have a mcafee FREE firewall i dont know if that will help with anything......

Ok..

So, I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll ask about the line in msconfig you saw.. can you show us exactly what it says ?

Thing is, %system% is a variable so, it may or may not mean anything.

But I suppose this could be anything, including a worm ... as some worms tend to make the system reboot. Also, how often does it happen ? That is, does it repeatedly reboot (log in, reboot, log back in, reboot) or just once or... ?

I would still suggest checking your system with an AV program. Worse case scenario is a reinstall of windows. But maybe you don't have to worry about that (although sometimes it may be worth teh hassle rather than stressing yourself over trying to fix a system while it's rebooting itself). As Cobra said, try safe mode ... and see also if you can find any suspicious programs in the task manager (ctrl-alt-del and such). Not the tab with the program name but the tab with all the processes running. You can often see worms and such in there ..

Oh, and btw.. viruses and firewalls don't really match.. so a firewall isn't going to stop a virus (per se). A worm might be blocked by one though (just depends). As for mcaffee.. I don't know about them as far as quality of service is concerned.. but I guess it's better than nothing (as long as it doesn't report false positives).

That's about all I can offer at this moment ... Get back to me and I'll try to help more ...

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Oh, btw, little hint is that sometimes if you see a suspcious program in the background ... doing a google search or even a search on an antiviurs company website .. will give you information on it.

Don't know if that'll help or not but it might ...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I dont know what to do may sister does not want me to reboot the computer.....i cant tell you the stuff that it says because im on my grandmothers computer. and this happens every time i log in to my account name on windows and it happens like every minute. how do i do safe mode.....O YEAH and i think it has a backup because when i delete it from msconfig it reinstalls it self and i can not find its backup. And remember i only like have a minute to do all of this stuff. Do you think someone hacked my computer and downloaded it. and i have a cable modem. I have aol and optimum online and mozzila firefox. Thanks
~Dean~

And it only reboots on your account or everyones ?

I realize it's hard since you only have a very short time.. I would think next time you're on, quickly look, and see if you can write the name down or remember it ...

If it's only on your account, then perhaps it's something easy to fix.

I doubt someone did this to you as far as manually ... I would guess either it was a worm that did it for you or you ran a program or went to a website that does whatever it needs to do. I can't really say since I don't know anything about it. Just know that you can get all sorts of problems even by visiting a website (if not properly secured) .. or something such as that.

Always make sure you install the windows updates ... a good firewall program or hardware would always be good as well.. as well as antivirus software...

It's really just a matter of correcting windows vulnerabilities and before you get infected.

One thing you can do is reinstall (not format.. no need for that generally), don't connect to the internet, install your security programs.. and then you can connect, download the critical security fixes... reboot right then, each time it prompts you to.

As for Safe mode.. not sure in windows xp but I could find out .. it's on boot up though, so [whatever] is causing your problem would not have a chance to load before it ... whethr i loads with it is another story perhaps..

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I g2g Can i get back to you later like stay on i will be back on maybe in an hour or so PLEASE STAY ON!

Quote from: Metgod on October 03, 2004, 01:52:03 PM
Ok..

So, I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll ask about the line in msconfig you saw.. can you show us exactly what it says ?

Thing is, %system% is a variable so, it may or may not mean anything.

But I suppose this could be anything, including a worm ... as some worms tend to make the system reboot. Also, how often does it happen ? That is, does it repeatedly reboot (log in, reboot, log back in, reboot) or just once or... ?

I would still suggest checking your system with an AV program. Worse case scenario is a reinstall of windows. But maybe you don't have to worry about that (although sometimes it may be worth teh hassle rather than stressing yourself over trying to fix a system while it's rebooting itself). As Cobra said, try safe mode ... and see also if you can find any suspicious programs in the task manager (ctrl-alt-del and such). Not the tab with the program name but the tab with all the processes running. You can often see worms and such in there ..

Oh, and btw.. viruses and firewalls don't really match.. so a firewall isn't going to stop a virus (per se). A worm might be blocked by one though (just depends). As for mcaffee.. I don't know about them as far as quality of service is concerned.. but I guess it's better than nothing (as long as it doesn't report false positives).

That's about all I can offer at this moment ... Get back to me and I'll try to help more ...

Met

i g2g ill be back tomoro or today see you later......

ok im here what should i do! and the name is dumprep 0 -k i made a mistake last time. and the comand that it does is something like %system%...... The rest is in ......... on msconfig. i looked all over in my system and did not find anthing weird HELP!

from http://www.2-files.com/filename/dumprep-exe :

dumprep.exe explanation:
File dumprep.exe is a windows system file, its purpose is to watch for system errors and to tell user about it. It creates memory dump reports that you can send to Microsoft if you answer "Yes" when prompted to send such reports. File is located in the system folder (C:\Windows\System, C:\Winnt\System32 or C:\Windows\System32).

Special info about dumprep.exe:
By our records File dumprep.exe is not harmful to the computer system. But this filename can be used by dangerous spyware and adware programs to mislead the user.
Dedicated 2-files portal advices to scan your computer and terminate all the files and processes that are related to spyware.

-----

However, I did notice it has permission to edit the file itself, so I don't know how accurate that is. I would say first scan your system for spyware...

What I would suggest trying is this (and this is only a guess..) :

Hit (press) ctrl-alt-del keys. Goto the task manager. Click on the processes tab. Then click on the process 'dumprep.exe' and then click on 'End process' or something similar to that. See if it lets you and if it works ok. Then, I would say see if it shuts down the system. If you can close it and it's still shutting down, it may or may not be that (but a chance would be that it's not it).

So, I would try killing the process (can't test it as it is for windows xp and 2k3 and I don't have those). If it lets you work more, then you can try to find a removal tool.. etc.

Let me know and I'll try to assist you more...

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

And if only I looked at the rest of the board before even helping here.... seems my initial sarcasm was right on the money.

http://forum.hfactorx.org/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=1351

Stupid stupid... I have every reason now to believe the MORON did it to himself... and then he accuses ME.. and infects others with his 31337 h4x0r sk11z..

What a dolt.. Dean better hope he doesn't ask another stupid question ...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk