New but not a total n00b

Started by OzYriz, July 07, 2005, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
You didn't buy a 64 bit machine I hope ?

I think others here would agree they aren't ready yet ... I think Uneek said he's tried FBSD for the opteron, and he always ended up reverting to 32 bit....

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Yeah, I actually do have a 64-bit Athlon. I was wooed by the shiny goodness! I don't really have any complaints so far though. It's nice and fast, hasn't been throwing up errors and the 32-bit systems have been running fine. I'm ok with that so far, the 64-bit stuff doesn't seem ready (OS wise), but I'm in no hurry yet! :)
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

Went for dual cpus recently myself....

How fast is your processor ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Actually, it's not that fast just the 2800+ but I haven't actually had any problems with it so far. It helps that I'm not a big 3D gamer. It plays Civ 3 nicely and hopefully with play Civ 4 nicely too! :)
Godaigo

Neat

I went for dual 1200 Athlon MP processors

I could not find a better deal so I went for it. it was basically a new machine too, and for the price (roughly 500$) it was pretty good buy (I saw many other dual processor boards for that much or more without the processor and this one was basically the system in its entirety). MSI too.

Haven't had any problems at all. It's more for development, but for me that means text based programs ... so it's fast enough and I can expand if I want.

How much did you spend (Yes I'm that bored right now) ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Sorry, I went on vacation! Actually it's hard to remember, but at the time it was about $300 for motherboard and processor. I got a good deal (I thought). It's probably about a year old though. My gf has a dual processor Mac and it's pretty sweet, although I haven't played with it enough yet! Cheers...
Godaigo

Make sure to check hardware support for 64 bit stuff. All three BSDs have a hardware support section. FreeBSDs online handbook is VERY helpful, OpenBSD is probably not the way to go for you, and NetBSD supports even your 64 bit toaster! ;)

Good Luck!

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Thanks for the info Wil! I've promised myself that as soon as I finish my current game of Civ 3 I'm going to start the BSD project! Cheers.....
Godaigo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk