Welcome Vector186

Started by Metgod, January 09, 2003, 05:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just wanted to welcome Vector186 here.  Though I wasn't in HFX when he retired (thus don't know him) years ago, I still think he should be welcomed here.

So let's all flood his message box to welcome him here, okay ? :)

Well, okay, not that.

Anyhow, welcome Vector186. It is great to see you, even if I did not know you back then. :)

I hope you can offer some interesting stuff here as well.

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Sappenin, Mofo?!?!

Most new guys have to pay HFX dues...but we'll let you slide this time!

;) Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

greets guys, thanks for the welcome, just so you know im way out of the loop and any help comments or pointers would help, trying to get back into it. oh yea whats that beige box next to my desk any ideas? :)

"Have you ever wanted a lineman's handset? Surely every phreak has at least once considered the phun that he could have with one. After searching unlocked phone company trucks for one for months, we had an idea. We could build one. We did, and named it the "Beige Box," simply because that is the color of ours. In the following file we will give complete instructions for the construction and use of a Beige Box."

Hehe, seriously though.. I'm willing to help if you need anything. What are you interested in learning or doing ? Maybe something new since you retired ? Let us know.

We can tell you about some charlatans (though I am sure you already know who they are), some really neat sites, etc. :) All sorts of goodies.

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Hey Vector. Welcome Back is in order i think!

Lines mans handset ? BLEH! .. why risk getting busted for stealing one.

Regular phones baby alligator clips, snip off RJ-11 and wire up clips, find juncyion, switch or con box and hook up. And have fun! ..

Oh man that was so hard :P .. hahaha :D

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

realy looking to learn how to properly scan and use the packet sniffers, security and such, and physicaly moding things like phones and that sort of thing, i like to tinker with stuff :)

Tinkering.. goooooood :D

"Da man looooooves the cock" - Jay and Silent bob :P

love that saying

Sniffing is always nice, yes.

What OS would you be using for all of this ? Linux of some sort or maybe more towards Unix ?

I can say that on BSD and also linux there is the 'tcpdump' which acts like a sniffer. Just see the man page :)

for Solaris.. there is the 'snoop' tool which also acts like a sniffer.

Many things can be done, and you can find very interesting stuff by playing with sniffers. Don't forget the ?grep utility to search for certain strings.

There are papers on sniffers out there, and if you like, I'd be willing to look while I have the time.

Another fun thing is spoofing and using raw sockets in general. I really wish I didn't quit C around 2000. I was good at it, not a guru, but good. And if I had that I think I could come up with raw sockets stuff. :)

As far as phones, if you mean physically modifying the phones I can't say I'm experienced there. However... Cobby (Cobra) might. :)

I do love phones too, and actually, if Cobby could come up with some stuff, it might be neat for X-Zine or at least some links. I like phones and know a bit for different reasons, but.. I think playing with phone networks and other things are more dangerous legally. If only HFX Island had it's own phone network.. might be good to play on. What do you all think ? :)

we could call it.... HFX PSTN or something.. hehe

Well, let me know Vector. Will do whatever I can to help you out. That includes suggestions for other things. :)

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Build your own tool in C and ASM and use it instead.  8)

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

rofl i program as well as a plane flys without wings. im unfortunatly stuck with only xp being a poor student, haven't been able to get a hold of linux /unix, i really need to get on that, need to reload box with a real os

January 15, 2003, 02:13:29 PM #11 Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 02:21:14 PM by Metgod
Vector,

I personally am more inclined to choose UNIX over Linux, but they each have their own pros and cons and it is a personal preference, not my decision to tell others.

I would check out:

http://openbsd.org
http://freebsd.org.
http://netbsd.org   (though not too sure about this one..)

Out of those, I would think that OpenBSD is the most secure and stable, but just because the OS itself is secure, doesn't mean other services on it can't compromise it. That among other things. There are always possibilities of conflicts and that is hard to predict. FreeBSD is nice too. Not sure about NetBSD.

I also like solaris but something tells me you don't have a SPARC station, and the x86 version had a lot of problems and is no longer available. Plus, libraries and headers, functions, etc., often have conflicts with others.

Of course, there are others.

As far as Linux, well:

I don't like RedHat but that is me. If for some reason you want to see, it's http://redhat.com (if somehow you don't even know the url)

Uneek likes SuSE and it actually does look nice.

I don't know much about Slackware but I keep thinking it's not updated enough (may very well be wrong).

Don't have a clue about caldera, or any of the other ones.

Then of course, depending on your choice, you can play with sniffers, like you wanted to. :)

Lots of good stuff out there..

Hope that helps !

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I used to like FreeBSD.. but i have swayed more towards Linux.. and gasp .. yes .. Redhat aswell. Never liked SuSe.. never will. And people the shout Debian at me.. two words "FUCK OFF" .. Gawd.. If i hear someone nark at me for my choice of OS .. I will burn off a spindal of 100 CD's with the OS on it, and slot them up their ass one by one.

PEOPLE LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS! gimbos ..

Read around Vector, each OS has it's pro's and Con's i mean hell .. there is Pros for XP over a unix eviroment.  Read around..

yeah

I used to riddle people for Linux.. but why did I do that ?

I honestly have no clue. It made no sense at all, and it was there decision. Who am I to tell them that their OS sucks.. or rather, they are stupid to use this and that. Personal opinions, debates, fine. But railing is long gone.

I mean.. I don't like XP at all, but why would I rail Cobby for liking it, especially when we are good mates ? It's his decision and no one elses. They can fuck off.

Everyone has to look around and find what best suits them, and I mentioned the BSDs, Solaris and some Linuxes. The reason I didn't put as much into linux is it's different and I don't know about most of them anyhow. I know RedHat has the VIM editor, and I prefer vi but if I recall correctly, there is a way to use normal vi. :)

Yes, there are pros to Linux as there are cons to it. Same with Unix.

This could be a very long discussion too. So many tidbits, so many choices, etc. So, as I thought I made clear in another post when I mentioned linux I wasn't implying anything. Here too. So if you read it wrong, sorry.

Here I was just trying to give some options and just said my personal preference. But you know what. My preference isn't Cobby's, Taz's, Neek's, Will's, Vector's, or any one else. It's that simple.

I will say, though, that perhaps why I started hating Linux is because everyone started jumping on the bandwagon and did other things with Linux, and that irritated me. But this is life.

However -- I am quite open to a discussion about all of this. What do you like about some (all ?) Windows, Unixes, Linuxes.. What do you dislike. What could be improved. This isn't that important but worth a shot I guess.

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

First of all just want to say welcome to Vector186. As far as chiming in about the Linux bit, I have to say that Mandrake is really easy to use and install. It seems to be very compatible with RedHat and will use RPM's etc. Not sure how it stacks up as a system per se, but I can say that if you're not really well versed it is extremely simple to get off the ground. Just my .02$. Cheers....  ::)
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk