#HFX on undernet

Started by wilnix, June 06, 2002, 02:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
When I first started into IRC, I was introduced to some of the people of HFX and invited to join #hfx. There were many people within this channel at the time and many discussions. For the last year, this channel has become VERY idle with not more then 5 people in at a time. I think its time it becomes a real channel again. ideas?

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Well, i know mettys always there. I check in at least 2x a week....i think everyones waaay busy...

My point is: Traffic. There is none. Hard to have a *con without exposure.

Wilnix

Yeah, it's pretty idle.. I do talk to some peeps but how often they are there,
uhm.. not very often. Maddy comes, Neek comes, yeah Zero you do too, I come,
some others not related to HFX in any way come.. but really it's more of an idle
bot channel hehe. But all but two of my bots have gone down .... two more will be coming
back up soon. Hope to have the other three come up.. and I used to have four others
but I really need to talk to hex on that one (which is like tallking to a wall sad to say)...

oh well, tis life
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Metty knows why i aint in the channel that often. I hate being in a channel where you have no idea who is a bot and who is not.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

So, we need to advertise?

The only way to get any HFX Convention to succeed is to spread the word through the underground. It'll be a lot easier to have traffic through our channel before we start advertising. It could be a huge advantage.

Wilnix

NO ! Do NOT even THINK about advertising for the channel !

I hate ads to be honest (well sometimes they are useful). But I don't want #HFX to become
a channel that relies on ads. Thank you kindly but no. I'm happy with how it (#HFX) is now. People
will come when they see it on the site or in X-Zine or what not. But NO and I mean NO !! ADS !
This is of course outside X-Zine or the website (under my discretion of course).
Channels that are really busy can be irritating... trusted eggies on the other hand ehehehe

Seriously, if you have a friend or something sure tell him about it if they'd be interested, but
please don't start advertising. Now if you meant for the convention, well that's not under
my discretion so I won't even get into it..

thank you..

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I think he meant advertising for the con... but I don't see how advertising for the channel would be so bad. It would be nice to actually talk to the general public instead of the bots in that channel. The whole point of the #hfx channel is to have people that come to the site and want to know more about HFX or in general to talk to us live, etc... I don't see why a busier channel would be bad... as of right now all I hear is crickets in there...

My $0.025...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

I meant for HFXcon. If the public is in our chan, we can advertise for the con. Otherwise, I think we aren't using the chan to its full potential...

Wilnix

Okay,  you're right. And like I said, if  you have people sure they can come..
I guess what it is is:

A -- I have something against ads. Ads really really piss me off. I guess what it is in this
case is that I don't want the channel to be known to spam others to come. Maybe that's not
how it'd be but it looks like it TO ME. Then again, maybe it's just I don't like the idea of
ads. However, posting a notice of some sort or letting everyone know isn't so bad. But I don't
want some ad saying "HFX has it's own IRC channel. Please join us now." A notice as:

"Note that for 4 years, HFX has had an IRC channel. Feel free to join and chat with the HFX team, ask questions, talk about
the latest in technology, security holes, programming, etc."
is fine. Just don't post it everywhere, ya know ?

That's more appropiate .. see what I'm getting at ?

B -- I don't want it flocking with abusive people or idiots. Newbies ARE FINE though...
I want to maintain peace and not have to deal with bans. I want intelligent or friendly
conversations between the regulars and non-regulars, etc. Not stupid arguments (debates
and opinions or facts don't count) like one might have with some people who have
shown up in #HFX before...

E.g., I don't want it posted on sites that have nothing to do with us (HAH) like HNC, or some
other underground site. I want it to be under a few people's discretion (primarily mine, but Neek,
Maddy, etc. have just as much power in controlling the channel -- kicks, kickbans, etc.. just don't
change the modes from +ntsl 666 to something else and I'm fine with that. And keep topics that
need to stay put.) Does it make sense now ? I hope so, nothing wrong with letting people
know, just dont over kill and maintain peace or so..

thanks,

Metgod

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Your Channel, your rules. I didn't mean to advertise for the channel though, I meant for the con...

:D Wilnix

haha I just read what you last said..
It must have been posted while I was posting mine *laugh*...
anyhow, let me think...

Yeah sure the HFX con can be 'advertised' in the chan.. i.e., if a new website for it was
coming up a simple ... /topic #hfx New HFXCon site to be released... stay tuned..

Hell yeah that's alright..

And yeah, Neek I don't mind general public either.. I just don't want idiots (and the media counts
unless they specifically are invited there by me) flocking around.. ya know ?
But bring on the convo's... go for it.. just be careful in HOW it is APPROACHED.. that's all

any other comments or questions ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

**goes and spams "#hfx on Undernet... join now!!!" all over Antionline.com**

Muahahahaha!!!

Joking aside, I meant advertise wisely... I hate spam myself with a passion!  I do think some sort of promotion is in order however in some form. I'm just a little tired of joining and seeing 60 users on, only to find out 55 of them are bots... heh... I guess I'm kinda looking to bring back the old #hfx, when we did get a lot more traffic, and were still able to regulate the channel efficiently. I want to see the lectures and discussions happen. IRC is a great way to communicate in real time, and it's a shame if the channel stayed idle all the time, that's all I meant...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk