Linux in the office..

Started by Zerored, February 22, 2002, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm putting KDE on Solaris... ;D Some people say it's a waste, others say it's the best. I don't care what any of them think.

I like it better then CDE. So FSCK THEM.

::) Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

yes, KDE 0wns !
and uh.. truszy.. I thought I told you about /stand/sysinstall ?
heh, oh well.. guess not...
but Will helped out so no worries..
"My Terminal is my Soul"

yeah, all the good hype on bsd, ive been thinking of checking it out myself. bye the way, ive been playing with redhat, its a requirement to graduate from lil itt, good, maybe. but hows mandrake. Ive heard good stuff. Seen some sween wmz.

*yuck*....
why must everyone jump on the bandwagon (*cough*Linux-bullshit*cough*cough*) ?
RH blows goats, always has, always will. It's a req. ? damn....
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Zero,

Uneek uses SuSe Linux and likes it. I've used Mandrake's Firewall edition amongst other things. I am very *BSD biased and probably always be, but if you insist on using Linux there are many flavors out there. To check all of them out, goto:

www.fuckmicrosoft.com

You'll find everything you need there.

Wilnix

Okay. KDE iz cool. I like it much better that gnome don-cha-know...but who the hell carez? Heh. Well, to mettys dismay, i have a nother RedHat question. How do you get the sound on red hat working. Im annoyed at this point. I gotz a dual boot 98/RH 7.1 on one box and cant seem to configure my sound card. Now, the sound works fine in windows, but not in linux. the cd is read and runs but ive got no sound. All connections are fine. But, when i type in sndconfig, i get a blue screen that says "segmentation fault" (core dumped). And it doesnt run at all. So, its very irritating. Any ideas OTHER than dump redhat...like i said, its for mi escuela.

Well, if it's SegFaulting, it can be a number of things... but the first thing you SHOULD have checked off the bat is if your sound card is compatible in linux. Many aren't. What are your hardware specs like?
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

A standard sound blaster live w/ digital audio. the linux ver is RedHat 7.1. I ran sound config on my removeable hdd and it ran fine. I may have to reinstall(which i dont want to do). Or, i can trouble shoot this one. Strange, i also have to install linuxconf...cause it wasnt installed either. Lastly, how do you get rid of linux on a dual boot sys? -i know how to get rid of the boot menu, but the individual linux partitions is my questions. I tried using the "linux expert" and boot: aka "boot: linux expert" and it didnt work. So, any other suggestions?

I don't know which question to answer first. You need to check out Red Hat's website for compatility issues. Then if it is compatible (which I think it is), then you need to make sure that the hardware is working correctly and that it is in the slot okay. If that isnt it, then you probably need to start searching through google to find out if anyone else has had the same issues.
As far as linuxconf...well, sounds like you may have had issues with the prior installation.
And lastly, if you want to drop the rh partitions, you should (first) know what you are going to do with them. IF you are installing another *nix OS into it, then just use whatever tool the install will have for you when you go to install it. FreeBSD will let you keep the win partition safe, delete the rh stuff, and install fbsd on the newly formatted partition right off the install. If you aren't, then get something like partition magic to handle them mess and reorganize your data.

Wilnix

Believe it or not I once had a Linux partition long ago (though not for very long)..
i removed it with no prob... I forget exactly what I did but I do know that to recreate
the bootloader I just used fdisk (using the /mbr switch).. -- which will get rid of the menu ...
possibly remove your partition and re-write the bootloader by what I said... However,
I seriously advise you to look it up as it was ages ago... and I don't want you to lose
data, I just can say it is EASILY done :)

There are actually FAQs on it if I'm not mistaken..

"My Terminal is my Soul"

you should be able to just use fdisk with the /mbr switch as metty pointed out to recreate the master boot record and get rid of the menu. from there you should also be able to use fdisk to delete the non DOS partition and recreate it as a FAT partition, reformat that partition, and viola!
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Yep, like Neek said, just delete the partition, and fdisk /mbr

Simple as that..

Last year and before that I could have explained it a lot more in detail because
I had experience in coding boot sectors (*evil grin*) ... It was a learning experience
and I learned a lot.. how it all works, how the boot sector and mbr are related, etc..
makes me almost want to relearn it heh.. and ASM too.. cause last time I was coding in
asm I came up with a lot of different techniques to do the same task, and they were unique..
and I knew a damn lot.. it's sad though cause I lost some good code before.. some from
just not writing down the what hte most updated file is.. actually I did end up destroying my disk
once HEH.. but that was long ago... I could find some of my demos I wrote that I destroyed
on floppy but I'm not about to do that I think.. I suggest if you are interested it do it on a 486
running DOS..  

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Just throw the disk out and get a new one  ;)

Wilnix

Nother question. In many job ads, there are requirements for UNIX experience. Do they mean BSD/free/open. If one wanted experience in these areas, how would you get your hands on the software?

Most companies who ask for unix experience speak of Sun Solaris or Red Hat Linux (they don't know better). Unix experience (generally speaking) can be obtained by downloading any number of free (open source) software off your choice of websites.
Some of my favorites are *BSD:
www.freebsd.org
www.openbsd.org
www.netbsd.org
For a complete list of ALL that is out there, try the best unix website ever:
www.fuckmicrosoft.com
They have them all, or close enough.
Some site offer ISOs to burn straight to a CDROMs, other just offer ftp|cvs|etc...
Check them out, try them, learn them...

Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk