Topic Starter

Started by Digital Suicide, October 30, 2003, 06:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 30, 2003, 06:03:15 AM Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 06:03:42 AM by Digital Suicide
So, how do you all feel about the bandwidth limitations of 802.11g? I think that's been *my* single largest concern with wi-fi, and my primary reason for not using it in my network.

(Happy metty?)
Digital Suicide
HFX, International
Internal Affairs Officer

*rofl*

yes, DS, I am. I'm glad you see it my way. *grin*

Oh and reasons I don't use it are security among other things.. but I also don't even have a reason to use it, even if I was sure about security.

I think cables are fine for me on my local network until distance gets to be an issue, which I don't see happening any time soon. But also, I don't even care enough to read up on it so I wouldn't know the number on bandwidth or anything like that. You all know me.. if I see something wrong I close in on that and sometimes -- like in this case -- don't want to know the rest. Well I do but don't have enough energy / inclination / time to study it. for now at least...

Met.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

i am still on 802.11b at my house and it works just fine. Not too worried about security....wait, I'll rephrase...I am sniffing my traffic like a mofo and have bells and whistles that go off if another NIC shows up in a 40293840984 miles radius....

Moo

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Sounds like you're pretty damn concerned, Will! :)

hehe.. ah well... like I said.. I am not very open to going to wireless when I don't need it ('if it ain't broke, don't fix it!')...

Met.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I'm on 802.11b at home as well, and loving it! It's nice being able to walk with my lappy anywhere in my house and having a network connection. As far as security concerns go, I'm satisfied with my level of protective measures integrated into my Wireless LAN segment to thwart off would be wardrivers/wireless intruders, (i.e. Disable SSID broadcast, 128 WEP, MAC Address Filtering, Secondary RADIUS Authenticating, etc.) And since my Internet connection isn't more than the 11 MB that 802.11b is restricted to anyway, I see no reason to need for more anyway. If I need to transfer large files to and from my lappy to one of my other systems  or servers, I just hard wire connect my lappy to my 100 Meg switch. :)
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Yeah..

I just dislike wireless because I'm close minded and security is an excuse of mine (guess it doesn't work too well huh). But I don't think anyone here (myself included) would be too worried about wireless security if we had a network (like Uneek and Will do). We know our stuff quite well! I admit I have had *one* of my boxes wide open, being my win2k box, but I was doing it for reasons I didn't care. I locked it down some and I should be fine now, with my settings. If not then I'll fix it too. But I'm fine I'm sure. My unix box is not gonna be touched, that's for damned sure! So I might be using security as an excuse but there are at times I don't even really care (thus my logic fails :)  )

And Neek, sounds like you have a really nice setup :)

Cheers,
Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

So hey, how about that 802.11g ???

(pushing the topic a bit)
Digital Suicide
HFX, International
Internal Affairs Officer

I've never noticed this post before...

How about the next generation of wireless technology, eh?  802.11n by Buffalo (a big name in wireless) claims 98.7Mpbs with some enhanced security features.  Here's the full scoop:

http://www.bbwexchange.com/publications/page1377-3857.asp
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gigabit Ethernet. Besides, my 10/100 is faster than THAT!

Seriously though, it's neat to see they're coming up with a faster wireless technology that might be a way to get more people interested in it. I don't have much experience with wireless (which is one reason to actually look in to it), and didn't read the article (bit occupied at this time) so I'm not sure what else to think of it (at least for the time being).

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Yeah, but gigabit ethernet won't let you play "World of Warcraft" while sitting in a starbucks parking lot--and isn't that what it's all about?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also, that's a stupid argument.  The advantages of wireless-ness are obvious--example: there are no messy wires.  The disadvanteges are also obvious (example: there are no wires).

You're right, it is a stupid argument. Even if it was a good one, though, I would much rather play text based games (like a mud). But I'm a command prompt system junkie ...

As for wires versus no wires, it's true no wires is not as messy (you should see my setup), but I still wouldn't like every part of it. Maybe if I had a router that supported both ways, so that it'd be convenient ... but I don't, so that's out of the question.

My concerns are mostly bandwidth and distance ... and the fact it's different than what I'm used to, I admit.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Maybe 802.11n will satisfy your lusts...

I'm more worried about security.  WEP isn't the greatest, and neither is shutting off SSID broadcasts or MAC filtering.  But I suppose it just depends on how secure you need to be.

I still want faster transfers (even a tiny bit is a big difference at times) for my local net, damnit! Even then, I don't have the money to get the proper network equipment and then, what would I do with all my cables ? Sure, I have a huge mess here, but it'd be such a waste of money to have no use for the cables (or less of a  use) ...

And yeah, security is a concern of mine too, although that depends on how you set things up. But even then, can't fall for security through obscurity ... or anything like it, so that's a definite concern , true.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

You're an old fart, that's what.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk