Video Drivers for FreeBSD - Help ?

Started by Metgod, July 19, 2004, 11:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 19, 2004, 11:24:30 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 11:27:07 PM by Metgod
Ok,

I have no problem using X in Linux, but I'll be quite honest -- I hate the linux kernel. It is slower to the BSD kernel, it takes forever to compile and I just find BSD is more stable. Don't get me wrong, Linux is ok, but I just prefer BSD.

That said, I have used Linux the last few days and I have virtually no problems with X.

But when I try to use the same info in BSD, I can't even find my card in the list in xf86config. Now that's frustrating. Granted, the work I do does not require X, I seldom use X anyway but I would love to be able to use it when I want to. I usually just SSH from windows to my BSD box and do the coding, etc., I do, that way. Perfect.

But I would love to have X working.

Does anyone know how I can manage this on BSD ?

Here is the card info (from Linux's lspci) :

S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

If there is anyone that thinks they can help, please, by all means, let me know. I'll gather more info if need be, too.

BTW - would enabling Linux binary support and using the DRI module work well or is this even an option ? I tried it but I believe I would have to enable Linux support...

Cheers,
Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Have you gotten it working by just trying to use the standard VGA driver 640x480 8 bit color? at the very least I'd try that just to troubleshoot and make sure the install is working correctly and then tweak the config file from there to get the correct driver and display settings working.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Yeah..

I have, at least once. I don't know though; It seems if I don't use generic only it just bails or hangs. The logs dont tell me anything I didn't figure already iirc. Oh well.. to be honest, right now, gentoo is installing and gonna see how I like it. The installer looks really neat and how it works is even cooler.

I'll figure out X under BSD one day I guess.. but unless I can get a driver or figure out how to port the driver (ehm, once I get the code to it) then I'll just be 'stuck' with linux.

Thanks for the response!

Cheers,
Metty
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk