Defacers Challenge

Started by Cobra, July 05, 2003, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a challenge set up and gives points to people to deface web sites. The story is:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/03/hacker.warnings.ap/index.html

Starts at 9am - 1pm on July 6th .. Apparently big following, alot of people even in Ireland are talking about it. To start with i thought, more mindless defacements.. But now that i have had time to think about it .. Im not sure.

I think this is going to be an excellent wake up call to Internet Security. If it goes off as planned this could show admins, companies, givernments etc.. that Internet Security is an extreme weak spot..

I am going to watch this one and see what happens.

What are everyone elses thoughts on it?

Mindless defacements?

Or you see a bigger picture and see it forcing people to ehance and improve security?
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

This was actually all a bunch of b.s.

You have to really think about why anyone would want to get "free bandwidth" as a prize if they're already defacing tons of sites... hrmmm?
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

<sarcasm>It takes great skill to ./ a program that you didnt create that scans any subnet you want in search for common vulnerabilities. Let's start a competition...</sarcasm>

If this was a true competition and there was half a brain involved in it they would have set up a server that was updated and patched and had the person who broke into it first win a prize...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Think I'm with Neek and Will on this one.. Who is to say who really will enter the competition. Then like Will said, they should make it tougher if they want to prove something.

The problem I see is that if it is for *others* to analyze their lack of security, then odds are that company is either is haughty about their security but really have none.. OR the entitity issuing the challenge is telling others that it's okay with it. That's how I see it I think. I mean.. who would be insecure and offer it ? Would companies like that be upset if they got defaced ? I think they would... So it should be a challenge.

Honestly, I think that if the above is true, that they are suggesting to deface other's sites, then they should be charged for loss of time. Eitherway... I think it's wrong.

And I would not be surprised if this was all a hoax or another warning that is just total nonsense (which is what I thought to begin with).

Met.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I wasn't paying any attention to who runs it, who is involved in it .. I don't care.. What i am saying is.. if it did pull off as they said. It would have pointed out how vulnerable the internet actually is.. But what happened instead? They just DoSed everything as a result not proving a damn thing..

Alas they have just redered themselves completley useles!

defacing websites is the "hacking 101 for dummies at the beginner level because i just learned how to view the source of webpages and my momma don't know it" for kids anyways...

It doesn't prove anything, and still to date there isn't really a "Hacker Initiative" to prove anything...

There's people who get paid to do something, and people who don't get paid to do something. Nothing else matters to anyone after that.

wilnix

Oh, and "noteriety" is for kids....

Okay i think everyone has missed my point here.

What i was trying to say, if they had done it properly.. It would have tested and proved how slack internet security is.

But they didn't, they just did it the same old way and didn't prove anything..

So lets just kill this thread because everyone has completley missed the point of debate..

Again!

Cobra -

I see your point, but I miss the debate part. Well, or it's just that I agree with you and dont see the other side.

Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk