Bridges vs Routers

Started by VAM3, March 03, 2003, 06:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Please tell me the differences between routers and bridges.
Where can a bridge be used instead of a router?
What device can be used to get an output in E1 standards with input as 9.6kbps?

By the term E1, I am assuming you are in Europe?

Bridge:

Basically, in a bridged network, the destination addresses are used differently than from a routed network. Firstly, bridges broadcast a message, asking for where the correct machine. So it sends it to all nodes, which really is not the best thing. Then it waits for the one to reply and then the packet is further processed.

READ: messy and inefficient

Router:

The addresses in packets here actually mean something. The netid is what network (subnet) it is in. The hostid is which node in that network. If you don't understand, I strongly suggest you read about Subnet Masking and IP Addressing. The router doesn't broadcast, it is more efficient, and it doesn't flood the network.

Personally, I wouldn't use a bridge if I could avoid it. I would think that a switch would do better in this case.

one more thing: routers connect *two* or more networks and bridges just segment a network.

Uh I hope that made sense for everyone *grin*

Met

Oh, Neek, Will.. if my rusty self goofed on anything, do correct me :) (though I think I did fine)
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Thanks a lot. That really helped ;D
But what about the interface ???

By interface, I assume you are referring to the actual ports, etc., on the device ?

Well

for starters, depending on the product, it may have different interfaces. Sure, there are standards and normal interfaces, but it all depends on the product.

What manufacturers are you interested in, and what kind of network do you need/want to set up ?

and.. please, do give all the info you can. That really does help.

let us know,

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

er... well, I was thinking the question was more geared toward bridge types like for changing protocol types as well... like going from DECNet to Ethernet (Which we use at work)...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk