Microsoft and Linux...

Started by Tazinator, August 16, 2005, 03:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://news.com.com/At+Microsoft%2C+the+yin+and+yang+of+Linux/2100-7344_3-5829512.html?tag=nefd.ac

This is like a hooker going to church, just isnt right and downright disturbing.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

What? This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read, and thats saying alot, becuase, frankly, Microsoft is a bunch of Fucktards.

Mirsky

Not really that dumb if you think about it, though we dont know MS's intentions. Its that old saying of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Im sure its MS's attempt to see how much of a threat Linux is to them in many areas. That and steal ideas im sure.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

August 22, 2005, 12:19:51 AM #3 Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:36:52 PM by Mirsky
Tazinator,

I do understand your point, as I use those words of wisdom often, but...

Look at the situation. Linux is quickly becoming more popular and more reliable in and amoung home and small buissness situations. And, Microsoft, over the past 5 years of so, has become more and more problem ridden. Linux started out being the little dog nipping at Bill's heels but now they've become a great big bulldog. Also, with the huge popularity of browsers like Firefox and Opera, and the huge connection between those two and Linux, Microsoft is in trouble.

The reason Microsoft is making plans like this is becuase they realise that they are not in trouble yet, but will be. Thinking long-term, this is the only option they have right now. To try and  save something for the future.

Me, personaly, am waiting for the overthrough of the Evil Microsoft and Bill Gates being sent away in excile with his sicking wealth. Viva Los Tux!!!  

Mirsky ;)

I think you're too interested in being an OS biggot that you aren't thinking clearly.  No matter how hard you argue, MS Windows will still be a good OS.  Yes, it has had it's flaws (many, I'll admit), but there is a reason (other than its shady contract loophole with IBM) that it jumped to hold %90 of the personal PC OS market.

Also, *nix will never destroy MS.  MS has legacy software, MS has the easiest to use (for joe-shmo) PC interface, and MS has now learned that cooperation with open-source products will get it alot further than denial of its noteworthiness.

Furthermore, I think that this is a step in the right direction.  If you love *nix so much, how can you argue against MS trying to cooperate with it?  How can you say it's stupid when that's what we've been waiting for for so long?

I'm not meaning to flame you, but don't snap on MS when it's finally found its marbles.  Now...to slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry martini... 8)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Benthehutt,

First of all, I am not a OS Biggot. I happen to be using Microsoft products. Second of all, Windows is a good OS, to a particular market. Goverments and corporations not computer based jump to get Mircosoft becuse they need something quick and easy. Microsoft reminds me of a cheap girl found in a club. Easy and satisfying, till you wake up the next morning and find a rash. Just like Microsoft and their security nightmare. Mostly everything thats not Microsoft is more reliable and safer, like a nice gf thats not deseased.

But, like most men, you'll have both, much like mixing *nix and Win. I do admit that Microsoft is making progress, but based upon their history, it seems like a face-saving move, rather than a honest effort to combine efforts to help improve the market.

To be fair, *nix and it's brothers will never overtake Microsoft becase of Bill's enormous monopoly on the market and his overpowering push to maintain it. I will fully support Microsoft in such a move to co-exist when they accually make one. Till then, I stay with Lux. Hey, where did you get that martini?

Mirsky

Alright, I'm cooling my jets--
Anyway, I'm not sure it's a "face-saving" move on Windows' part.  For one thing, they're too far gone in the *nix community for any of them to start liking it.  For another thing, I'm not sure Joe-Shmo will ever care.

As for me, I've just now stopped dancing from the article, I don't know--it seems like something genuine.  (MS is pretty dang smart, especially in their marketing deptartments)  But who knows, even if they do change their ways, I'll still use *nix and Macs. ;D
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

OK, thats fair enough. But, all this time I thought you were a Windows man. Wait, I still never got that martini.

Mirsky

I suppose I wasn't very clear, I will use Windows, Linux, and Macs.  They're all good at different things.  Actually, I'm writing a big paper on it.  I'll give you a buzz when it's finished (if I ever get through it).

I will stick to my commodore 64, TRS-80, and Xerox Alto. Screw all the new OS crap!

Kiddin, I use them all for different purposes, but I clearly prefer FreeBSD and Mac OS X.

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk