Windows Vista and Office 12

Started by Tazinator, September 13, 2005, 03:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://news.com.com/2300-1012_3-5862875-1.html?tag=nl

I dont know. All I see different is the icons are now huge and the graphics a bit more flashy. Wonder how many security holes they created to do that.

Is it me also, but is Windows Vista looking more like KDE with the transparent windows and whatnot.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

You know, I fear you might be right.

And I bet they do create loads of new security holes.

Looks are nice at times, but really, they need to get their act together, and make a nice solid (and semi secure) base...

But I don't think they care enough to do that. Which is a bloody shame. How can any company not care about their products security ? I know they have the manpower, so why can't they just get someone who has a clue to lead the project ? And then they need to follow through with it.

Granted, security isn't a simple topic, but making sure you don't overflow buffers, and all that kind of stuff, is so easy to check, it makes me wonder how in the world they can have so many holes ??? I always am amused at companies (not just MS) writing software with static buffers and no bounds checking.... Broken software at its finest.

And then there is bloatware. Lack of security and bloated. What an ugly combination.

Does MS still do the once a month security fixes ? That one always got to me.. "We know about this serious security bug, but we'll wait and give you a fix in a month. Sorry if you get hacked!"

The saddest part is, they have the power, time, and money to do it. They even have cool ideas that work nicely (whether they stole it or not) and they just don't come through like they could.

I don't know what it will take to get it in their head of what they need to do, but I somehow fear it'll take many many years (if ever).

You'd think a company would want to provide secure, stable software, to make their customers happy. But then again, I guess the fact that people buy it, and don't whine about security, makes them feel they're doing fine. So maybe the customers should be smacked right along with them....

Okay, I went way OT, so I'll just say I hope you're wrong. I really do. It'd be awesome to see a more stable OS from MS, but I guess we might not be as lucky as we like (if history repeats itself, we won't be). Will have to wait and see...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I for one thought it was pretty sweet.  I don't think Windows has a history of making things to "flashy."  If anything they make the most butt-ugly crap anyone could ever dream of.  Everyone was scared Office 2003 was going to be like that, flashy but horribe functionality, but it turned out to be pretty solid.

My opinion is that Longhorn *will* kick butt (*crosses fingers*).  I think Windows is starting to learn from their mistakes, yes very slowly, but they're getting there.  IE has taken monumental strides in usabilty, portablity, functionality, and yes, even security.  They're even trying new things nobody's ever done before, like their take on multitasking.  I don't care who you are and what you like or dislike, this looks freaking awesome:

http://www.pcinpact.com/images/bd/news/9834.jpg

The sidebar also looks promising as it has XML functionality and can download realtime info like weather and whatnot.  And no, this was not taken from Apple dashboard, it was taken from MSN 8 dashboard.  I don't think they're trying to just clutter everything up either.  I think it's an attempt to reduce "system tray" applications that drain memory and whatnot.

Though, Longhorn does have 2 more years development to go through, so who knows what the final builds will have.

But, then again, I may just be a crazy old hoot who wants to remember the good old days when Windows was awesom cause that's all I had access to.  We'll just have to wait and see...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Looks like Mac Tiger  ;D

It's MS's answer to Expose.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Looks are just a bonus ... but yes, it does look nice!

I hope you're right about the rest, but I fear we might not be surprised one iota. We shall see.

It'd be neat if they could finally get the idea about security though ...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

MS did surprise once. 2003 wasnt so bad actually. But, all they really did was finally fix the huge IIS holes and make it so all services are turned "off" by default vice the old NT4/2K way of Everything ON.

Now that's just sad... such a small improvement. Ah well. I can only hope that Vista is really nice...

Looks cool so far though.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk