New SPAM Tactics....

Started by Tazinator, October 30, 2002, 10:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Seems there is a new SPAM tactic I was unaware of. I left the Messenger service running the other day mistakenly and I came home to find this...

Good thing I dont have kids that use the computer. Nice of those places to take that into consideration.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

jesus christ I can not stand this shit. Day in day out my hfx account is flooded with this crap. I got on to one place and actually rang them up and shouted like a mother fucker down the phone at them. Only to get greated by my e-mail address being added to another 5 mailing lists. For everyone 1 i get removed from at least 5 more i get added to. It is getting beyound the joke.

And I aint fucking joking when I say, if legal action dosen't work. I have no fucking problem taking my own action.

I have written so many e-mails, made so many phone calls etc.. I even sat here one day and removed myself manually from every fucking mailing list i was on. Only to get greated by almost double the spam in my inbox the following day.

I really think this is something that needs looking at ASAP.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Yeah... the bitch of it is that when you manually remove yourself from a mailing list, all that does is verify with the offending party that your e-mail address is a working address. So even though they remove you from their list, they either sell your address to others, or just send you more crap from partner sites. It's getting hard to combat.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

I agree, hell I had to shut down the Webmaster account for HFX because 90% of the email traffic it got was SPAM. The main problem is there is more technological advances out there to help companies and individuals send it out then there are advancements in preventing it.

Supposedly there are a few bills in "Gubment" (intentionally mispelled) that are about legally limiting those types of messages. I think I read that one of them was to make it madatory for the subject line to be something like:

Ad: Subject goes here

or something along those lines. That would be good as filtering software would work easier, but whos to say these companies will do it. Half the SPAM accounts are from anonymous email addresses @ Yahoo and stuff. The free email accounts basically caused this problem to get out of hand. Full on ISP's require personal info for setting up accounts which would allow SPAM offenders to be prosecuted. Free email places only can kill the account because 9 out of 10 times its bogus info on the registration. Then all they do is setup a new account.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

Just to let you know Taz. I got one of those popup advertisments that you got from MSN. I got it from MSN aswell. But i don't use there software. I use trillian to connect to the MSN network.  So just to let folk know, you can be targeted no matter what interface you use to the network.

Anyway, if anyone is up for sitting down some evening and banging our heads together to muster up a counter plan against this spam shit. Other than spam assasin crap that isn't great.  I am all up for it.

C.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk