Windows XP Pro SP1 and Norton AntiVirus 2003...

Started by Tazinator, January 03, 2003, 06:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 03, 2003, 06:29:04 AM Last Edit: January 03, 2003, 01:17:52 PM by Tazinator
Ok, I recently upgraded the Norton AntiVirus client on the XP box to 2003. I did this about, o say, 3 weeks ago. Everything ran smooth-like and I went on a short vacation last week. Upon returning, I powered up the machine and was welcomed to an unexplainable and generic error message from Norton telling me it "couldn't verify if it was properly installed" and gave an error code. I checked the Symantec site and found nothing. As far as I could tell, NAV was running just fine, Autoprotect, scan functionality, etc.

It was then that I noticed I no longer was able to install anything. Any setup utilities using Installshield would return an odd error of "Setup cannot be completed: Cannot find the specified module". It was at this point I checked with Installshields site and again found nothing to help solve the issue. I chalked it up as bad MS programming and that somehow XP had gone sour.

I noticed yet another problem at this time however. Internet Exploder (ahem), Explorer, could no longer be launched by other applications. It would launch manually, but nothing could call on it. Also, it could no longer launch hyperlinks on web pages running any Javascript. Even the Windows Update utility in the start menu would do nothing. AGain, I searched Microsoft's site this time, and again nothing explaining it.

Before I threw in the towel and reloaded XP, I decided to uninstall Norton AV 2003 for the hell of it. I was going to reload the machine anyhow, so what would it hurt. After I uninstalled, everything worked just fine.

I am still in awe as to how Norton could be linked to all those problems yet still not return any errors in the Event Viewer, its own logs or anywhere else. And I am riddled in the same way of how the other applications return no errors anywhere either. Now I am not a professional programmer, but I know enough to get by. My best guess on how all that got screwed up by Norton is that a common file of sorts was currupted by Norton somehow and just killed everything.

Just posting this in case anyone else might run into the same problem. I seem to come across the weird ones. ;)

Maybe if I stopped fiddling with things that wouldnt be the case, hehe.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

Actually, I believe one of our users here had the same issue and ended up reinstalling N.A. Not sure how the whole mess ended up, but I could ask next time I see him...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Well I have no other addition to this post other than. I have my main development PC running Win XP Pro SP1 with Norton System works 2003. Which as everyone knows is the full pack with AV, Utils, Ghost, Cleansweep etc etc.

System has ran 110% from the time of install.

So the only thing i can thing of would be a bandy copy if you know what i mean ;-P
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Well, we were using the Corporate Edition v.7.5 of NAV at work and I use it as well here at home, and haven't had that particular issue. However with our recent upgrade to 8.0, we did notice that a couple of our programs wouldn't install after installing it. I'll have to look deeper into that to see if it may be related.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

ever hear of a mobius loop, sounds like the program got stuck somehow and kept looping and acting almost normal, running but interfering with the other programs such as internut exploder. disrupting their function but not as to screw up the program so it will trigger an error event, saw this happen before  not with nav tho.

Interesting reading:  I have a PC running XP Home which refuses to load any Norton System Works component (error code -12), including when I try to install NAV alone. Other symptoms are that I cannot print from Outlook or IExplorer.  Printing from Word etc is fine.
Also, Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Information refuses to do anything either.

I have checked for Klez (as per Symantec's suggestion) and managed to install Panda AV which gave me a clean scan.

Any suggestions (short of re-installing from scratch).

is that the only error you have? what does event logs show? aaplication and system...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk