Fedora for PowerPC...

Started by Tazinator, September 02, 2005, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

I suppose I asked if real mode on a mac would be 32-bit simply because it's half of 64, like half 32 is 16 in Windows.  I didn't realize it would be 16-bit on a mac too.

Thanks for all the info, I downloaded all the Mac OS X architecture pdfs, I just haven't had time to read them yet.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

There is an x86 Darwin:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/darwinx86-801.iso.gz

Though, I don't know how cool it'd be, I've never used it.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

And X11 for OS X:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

Which means unix ports are getting some support from apple.

Only the G5's are 64-bit, the G4's are 32
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

Those'r what I'm talkin' 'bout (I suppose the question could be extended to x86-64).

I lub my PowerBook, Darwin, Aqua, and find myself using it 90% of the time for everything...  ;D
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

So would you put Fedora on it?  (Seems like a waste of an expensive machine to me--if it would act the same as Fedora does on a $200 PC)

Hell no!!! Why would anyone go from BSD to Linux???

I can think of some reasons (including some that converted me in the past, although I still wouldn't mind having a BSD system):

1. More 'adopted'.

2. More help/support if needed (although I guess one could dispute this issue).

3. More code designed for it (although this is partially a moot point because of autoconf and automake).

4. And, for me, it was the code that I worked on -- it was originally built under Linux, so I decided it'd be best to be under that environment.

On another note though... Linux IS slower in most cases, which really sucks. I have to say though, my Gentoo machines are nice and fast, and rock solid.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Well to issue my rebuttal on the reasons brought up...

1. "More adopted" - Even though it's based on BSD, we're still talking Mac here which is more adopted than Linux
2. "More help/support..." Mac has more support including commercial support than Linux
3. "More code designed..." Not sure about this... Mac has quite a lot of commercial and open source applications, and it has it's own version of ports collection which is really nice and in my opinion ports > rpm...
4. --I'll give you this one....

;)

Hrm.. yes, I suppose you're right more or less.

I probably did miss the point though - the way it was worded, it sounded to me as if it was a general thing, not for mac specific. Should have thought of it, especially considering which board it was under. So yes, I guess in that context you're right.

1. Yes, probably true. I could maybe argue this one, but I'm not sure I could back it up completely.
2. True -- especially on the commercial side. Though, I have to say some linuxes have some pretty decent support forums from what I've seen, but that's not so much the developers as the users. And that can prove troublesome in some cases.

3. I agree that ports are better than rpms (especially when you take into account rpms without fullfilling dependancies). From what I remember, BSD ports took care of that kind of thing. Very annoying that rpms often don't (poor design imo). Thankfully, I don't have to worry about rpms (I compile things manually). As for more software.. guess it depends on how you look at it (i.e., what defines mac software over general open source software, etc.). Especially since a lot of open source programs would probably run under linux, bsd, etc.

4. In the context that you're using, even this statement by me wouldn't work so well (since I don't own a mac). Though, I guess it could work in the sense that it's my personal reasons for using it over BSD (just not related to mac).

5. No, you're absolutely wrong here, sorry.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk