Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: shortfuse/Keith Kimmel of ...
Last post by Metgod - January 01, 2016, 09:06:13 PM
And Albert Speer said:

QuoteOne seldom recognises the devil when he is putting his hand on your shoulder.

.. and I know that Cobby knows who he is but to those who don't he was Hitler's main architect (least later on) and the quote refers to Hitler. He (Speer) later on become Minister of Armaments and Munitions (after the death of his predecessor on a plane crash that Speer only decided against flying in in order to get some decent sleep - a few hours before).

In the end we all have good and bad in us; the two cannot exist independently - the fact some act more on bad (or good) doesn't mean there isn't good (or bad) in them, it means they repress it.

Yes, shortfuse was arrogant but I can't say I was never arrogant because that would be an obvious lie. Of course, it is different reasons for me (and often not really intentional) but the end result is the same (intention definitely isn't appreciated nearly as much but still the end result is what matters to most people.. though I think intent is far more important). Was Keith a good person primarily or a bad person ? I don't think anyone can truly say for sure - certainly none of us - and as such I won't even try to judge him that way because I don't think it right to judge someone (or anything or ...) I don't really know. I can only judge his vandalism and theft and to that I utterly reject his actions (same with his behaviour with us). But as a person I'll leave that to the far-too-many people who willingly judge others.

Happy new year fwiw (it means next to nothing for me but...). Hope it brings much good to you.
Last post by Tazinator - December 29, 2015, 02:58:30 AM
My life has taught me that the *potential* for good exists in everyone, however the individual can decide whether or not to tap into that potential themselves or ignore it entirely. Life experiences have allowed me to see humanity at its worst but also at its best all at the same time.

This guy was a bit of a dick in his life, something he chose to be on his own. He used the guise of doing "good" to carry out bad things, harass people and create turmoil.

I think perhaps he had intentions of doing good at some points of his life, but they were often overshadowed by his arrogance and desire for notoriety and the actions quickly derailed because of those things.

A statement that rings true in lots of things I often remember at times like this:

QuoteVillains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.
Last post by Metgod - November 22, 2015, 07:23:43 PM
Granted that's true; but it doesn't take away that we all have some good in us - even if we can't see it. I don't know what good exists in him as he never showed it to any of us. But somewhere it is there because we all have good and we all have bad; the two are inclusive and there is no denying this except when blind to the way the mind works.

So yes, true. But I'm not sure if it is entirely relevant (it is relevant but not in every way).
Last post by Cobra - November 22, 2015, 06:48:33 PM
I was just speaking to someone about this. I was saying I wasn't sure how i felt about the news. My mates reply was, just because the person is dead it doesn't change the fact they were an asshole.

Point taken.
General Discussion / shortfuse/Keith Kimmel of Sout...
Last post by Metgod - November 21, 2015, 09:27:22 PM
To those who remember SBHC you will probably remember the leader (or so I seem to think he was the leader) called himself shortfuse - and it certainly matched his temper in some ways. Taz liked to refer to him as shortdick but in any case, there was quite some problems with them (perhaps especially him) and HFX which is ironic indeed given that we're about uniting the digital underground. I certainly can't claim I was entirely innocent but he really did piss a lot of us off.

Then he was arrested for vandalism and theft from a telephone company (don't remember which one and don't care) in his (then) town South Bend, Indiana (or so I think it was in his own town; I know it is on a news website out there from years ago). I know I got great amusement out of his arrest but part of that was bias because I did not at all like him. I didn't approve of what he did, either.

So to those who remember this saga with SBHC, you might find what Cobra showed me an hour and a half ago or so of interest - Keith Kimmel was found dead. He was supposedly the victim of police brutality. It seems he had been in a gay bar (which certainly was his right in my mind and nothing I would judge), got in a fight, then the police got involved and he (as claimed) was dragged across the lot or some such. He then died a couple days later. I'm certainly not going to judge what happened one way or another and I won't talk for anyone in the story (or frankly anyone besides myself). This is the one link from another website (a forum) that isn't a 404 - at least about the situation itself. He apparently had his own blog too but that's now a part of history - as he is (no, that is not to disregard a life - it is only because I love puns). So for what ever it might be worth:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/05/gay-activist-dead-oklahoma-apartment/

Despite what I thought (and think) of him a lost life is still a lost life... and I think that's what matters more than anything else (even if everything by now is moot).
Forum News / Re: HFX Forum is SSL Only
Last post by Metgod - January 10, 2015, 04:26:40 PM
Damn! There goes my fun with the sniffers ... (I suppose I could attempt to exploit poodle but I admit that I only suggest this for the pun (you know, dogs love sniffing and all ...))

Good call indeed (and inactivity is irrelevant to this).
Forum News / HFX Forum is SSL Only
Last post by Tazinator - January 09, 2015, 02:26:20 PM
I finally got off my ass and moved the forum to SSL. Many apologies for the lateness, and I know inactivity on here reigns supreme as of late so its kind of a "meh" thing, but if activity ever starts to pick up again, its locked down.

Forum News / Forum Notice
Last post by Metgod - December 27, 2014, 05:48:51 PM
So... it seems some foul, arrogant little bastard has flooded the forum over the past some days. Unfortunately I only caught him today, something I'm still trying to figure out (because I check the RSS feed every day yet nothing until today). Unfortunately even more so is that I only have access to the interface here and not server access. Combine this latter fact with there being a bug in deleting users (and specifically the option to delete all the user's posts) and this meaning it isn't deleting the messages, there are over 1000 (!!) messages here and I don't have the patience to click on them all (if only it had tick all and delete all at once... why is it not possible ? I don't know why it isn't there).

To that end, I've enabled a little bit more restriction although trying to balance it (to not annoy regular people) and prevent things like this is difficult. While I hate captchas I'm somewhat inclined to make them for some posts (but have not). Still, the fact is, unless there was a bug here, too, if they were able to get at least the normal requirement  (of posts) done, then they could do this with captchas too (or perhaps the questions are easy - looking at the list I can see just how easy it would be to check respond to some of the answers).

In any case, I am sorry about the crap here and hopefully it can be sorted out sooner than later. But as of now I have a lot of other crap to deal with (they call it 'real life' I think...) and I don't have the patience to click through this many messages (and it wouldn't be very ergonomical, either!). Taz, if you see this, please address this. Actually, if I can get a moment I'll make a note elsewhere (or send you a PM).

I'm considering giving up his email address, and in particular making a mailto address.. I see no reason why spammers should not be treated like they treat everyone else: victims of spam. However, I'm erring on the side of caution, for the moment.
General Discussion / Re: So, Hi.
Last post by Cobra - January 28, 2014, 06:35:29 PM
haha... The place is a ghost town mate! ;-)
General Discussion / So, Hi.
Last post by ruzz - January 13, 2014, 05:46:25 PM
Wow, you guys still exist - I remember you from about 15 years ago in #vir

:P

I'mma lurk here for a bit if that's cool.  Maybe contribute - you never know !

r`
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk