Lotto Vuln Poss.

Started by Cobra, March 03, 2003, 09:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay.. Not sure how this will work. And i am sure I am really shooting myself in the foot here. But it is well worth the discussion.

Okay here is the scenario. When you go to a store to buy a lotto ticket in Ireland (I am sure it is the same in other countries) the machine punches your numbers which then are send via landline (normally just regular telephone lines) to the lotto HQ where the numbers are all processed etc.

So here is a few things. What is stopping someone sniffing, intercepting or manipulating that data? What encryption does that data use etc etc..  Okay granted once you have the numbers there aint alot you can do with them. But if you can intercept and manipulate the data, you could sure as hell cause problems.

Also for anyone reading that lives in ireland. The computers in the cop cars in ireland? yeah? you know the ones.. Well guess what kids.. They run on the same network as the Lotto does.. Sooo GUESS WHAT!.... good news.. Here is a scenario for you.. When there is a roll over in the lotto there is normally a massive rush of people getting tickets between 7:30pm and 7:55pm .. this rush means that the cops have trouble accessing the network for those 25 minutes.  Funny thing huh? hahaha..

Anyway.. That is my current project. (All legal, not doing anything other than research and looking) ..

LEGAL ! ..

Stay legal kiddies..

Oh and don't do drugs kids.. you loose your pleks and you play like shit!
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

I think that is a very interesting idea, Cobby. Though, I would never do that if it would work. I would say that not only would I feel guilty, but if caught, you would become a convicted felon. Fraud, especially over wires, is a very serious crime here.

Anyhow, really cool idea. One thing though, is that here in the US, the lotto system is different.

Basically you have a ticket and if your ticket has the same number as the winning lotto ticket, you win. It's actually done by a machine with balls of numbers on them. The balls go through the machine and the first one out is the first number, second is the second number, etc.

So unless I'm wrong or am missing part of this, it wouldn't work here.. that is, with that method. I am very sure there is a way to cheat the system though. There is a way to cheat everything.

Keep us posted,

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Yes metty that is the same way the lotto is done here. But the numbers on everyones ticket still needs to go to a single database of numbers to confirm the winner. Which when you buy your ticket the numbers you selected plus the sellers ID tag is sent to the HQ and filed untill the day of the draw.

It is done the same world wide as far as i know

ah

I see what you are saying..

The ticket is in your hands and if you could somehow change the number in the system to verify it... ok, got it

now in IE, do you have to actually go to the lotton 'center' to give them your ticket and sign forms or what not ?

I know that's how it is here..

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

No no no.. I am not talking about actually forging the ticket (not yet anyway) .. that would be pretty tricky to do. But by just being a pain in the ass. Stopping data going in, modifying data so it is just crap going in. etc etc..

Ahh hell I am too tired to talk about it.

haha ..

P.S: It is possible. No way of reading the data though. But it is possible to stop it, and also possible to modify it to read pure junk. But not to read it yourself. (Which was to be expected)

Anyway. That was a short lived project. I really can not be bothered sneaking around in the middle of the night busting open Eircom units.

I am too old for that shit!

you're not old. LIAR

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

compared to you, he's old, Wil

Hell, *EVERYONE* is old compared to you, you dam script kiddie ;D

Hehe
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Actually... Compared to me everyone is a toddler!

Will's gettin' up there though... he's actually a few years older than the Cobster... ;)
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

hehe.. if you say so grandpa Uneek.. now how old is your son now ? Do you mean to tell me that he's already having kids ? ;D

"My Terminal is my Soul"

be afraid my kid knows telnet and ssh....

you've been warned.

wilnix  ;)

hehehe.. I somehow think Neek's son also knows how to use ssh and telnet. As I recall last, Neek told me that his son's hacking skills are going quite nicely. :)

I wonder what it'll be like in 10-15 years.. if he's still interested or if he will have picked up anotehr hobby...  

What do you think Neek ? and Will ?

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I think our sons will form a new hacker coalition together and hack the gibson and matrix to form the new "Information Superhighway Freedom Foundation"... of course... I could be wrong... maybe I just need more caffeine...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Sounds like a movie i've seen before... ???

wilnix

hahaha.. well we shall see Uneek, we shall see !!

oh and caffeine is bad for you ! you damn druggie !!
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk