IMEI numbers?

Started by PhuFighter, February 11, 2008, 10:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi,

ok. I'm not in the UK, so the country I am in (Canada) doesn't do IMEI blacklisting.  So stolen phones are easily used here.  However, I would still like to change my IMEI for a very specific purpose.

My provider (www.rogers.com) is introducing a new service where they would allow unlimited mobile browsing for $7 CAD/Mo!  That's a *HUGE* discount from their present $0.05/kb charge.  However, there's a catch: It has to be on a phone that they sold, and it cannot be a Windows Mobile or Blackberry phone.  I think this is intended to avoid abuse via tethering to laptops.

For phones that the provider did not sell, it's automatically classified as a "data" device such as a WM or BB phone and thus charged at the a-la-carte rate of $0.05/kb, even if it is not a WM or BB device.  

I have a number of phones that I had purchased from them, but I would like to have a better phone (e.g. N95 or iPhone, even though it is limited to EDGE rather than the HSDPA network) that has a decent browser.

Does anyone have a hint on how I might get an IMEI number from a Rogers phone onto a non-Rogers phone so that I can use the $7/mo unlimited browsing plan?  I am not really attempting to be nefarious and abuse using the tethering option, but would even do something like buy another Nokia from them (to add to the stack that I already have), and copy that IMEI onto a N95.  

Is there an option out there that I can use to take advantage of this offer?  (I really wish they would just do something like charge $7/500MB + $1000/GB after that for all phones - that would make tethering a rather unattractive option but still permit people to use which ever phone they want rather than their crappy selection).

Thanks!

March 02, 2008, 02:17:34 PM #1 Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:29:08 PM by ItTechy
Hi,
I can send you a legit URL that charges $20.00 U.S. to un-lock your phone.

If this is not against Forum Policies?

IMEI numbers can be changed, erased, locked , and un-locked, but require manufacturer' hardware software which is not usually available, and is for the most part most everyday users wouldn't understand how to use the various interfaces and brick a phone in a heart beat!  ;D

Since I am new here, find out if I can post such a reply or PM me, I do not want violate any TOS, rules, yada, yada...yada.

Oh yeah, also wanted to mention: In the U.S. unlocked phones are completely legal and carry a universal IMEI identifier, which allows them to be identified, only by the SIM or GSM, not the phone itself.

Essentially it is not as much a security issue as a RIGHT TO USE issue, here.

Best,

ItTechy

Quote from: PhuFighter on February 11, 2008, 10:54:16 AM
Hi,

ok. I'm not in the UK, so the country I am in (Canada) doesn't do IMEI blacklisting.  So stolen phones are easily used here.  However, I would still like to change my IMEI for a very specific purpose.

My provider (www.rogers.com) is introducing a new service where they would allow unlimited mobile browsing for $7 CAD/Mo!  That's a *HUGE* discount from their present $0.05/kb charge.  However, there's a catch: It has to be on a phone that they sold, and it cannot be a Windows Mobile or Blackberry phone.  I think this is intended to avoid abuse via tethering to laptops.

For phones that the provider did not sell, it's automatically classified as a "data" device such as a WM or BB phone and thus charged at the a-la-carte rate of $0.05/kb, even if it is not a WM or BB device.  

I have a number of phones that I had purchased from them, but I would like to have a better phone (e.g. N95 or iPhone, even though it is limited to EDGE rather than the HSDPA network) that has a decent browser.

Does anyone have a hint on how I might get an IMEI number from a Rogers phone onto a non-Rogers phone so that I can use the $7/mo unlimited browsing plan?  I am not really attempting to be nefarious and abuse using the tethering option, but would even do something like buy another Nokia from them (to add to the stack that I already have), and copy that IMEI onto a N95.  

Is there an option out there that I can use to take advantage of this offer?  (I really wish they would just do something like charge $7/500MB + $1000/GB after that for all phones - that would make tethering a rather unattractive option but still permit people to use which ever phone they want rather than their crappy selection).

Thanks!

After re-reading your post, what you need to know is HOW they (your service provider) is identifying their equipment.

Which I know is essentially what you asked, sorry.

The only way (easily) to really find out is to know a insider who is willing to violate NDA with his/hers employer, and possibly face criminal prosecution.

Another way is to find a friend who has purchased the equipment that works, and have the right tools, "and take a look under the hood", and see if you can find where or what they have used to allow this service.

Again, because most providers are so money hungry, and could care less about you or I, this "code" most likely also allows them to know who is supposed to have this service and on what devices, so you could get a hefty bill, or other problems if you were able to hack it.

Best,

ItTechy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk