Case Modding

Started by TOWT, March 14, 2005, 03:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Most cases are fine with me but i happen to come across this awful case and i want to paint it a different color i just have a couple of questions

1. do you use spraypaint
2 should you sand before painting

Okay.. Steps

Take the case apart, every last bit that will come off, take off.. as in, plastic panels from main case frame etc.. if the lights come out take them out aswell. if not you are gunna need a sharp blade and masking tape (the tape you are looking for is like a paper tape, use in garages that spray cars)

Sand down every inch of it with a 320 maybe 240 grit sand paper.

Remember - lower the numbers, harsher the paper. So sand the entire thing, every inch of the panels.. Reason i say this is because if you miss a sizable chunk, the heat of the PC will cause the paint to flake off in that corner, and then ruin yer work. So SAND SAND SAND.. take your time and do it right.

Next you need to get all that dust off yer panels .. if there is dust under the paint, you will have a crap looking finish and again, paint will flake off. So best thing would be to go to a motor factors (supplier of car shit) and get Tack Rags ( or whatever you call them in the US, they are cloths spray painters of cars use to wipe the car down before spraying).

Now you need to get the heavy dust off first.. Rather than buy panel wipe .. i suggest washing them in the shower .. and leave them in your hot press over night to dry.

Now you will have a perfectly sanded and clean panel..

NOT FINISHED YET!

You need to buy primer to spray on first, again motor factors will supply you with this. Lightly dust the primer on .. Don't fire it on in one go or it will run and you will be fucked for waiting for it to dry to sand it down and do it again. So lightly build up the layers.. Dust one coat on, let it dry, then dust another on. If you are in a hot part of the world this will dry REALLY quick.. If not you might want get a heater in your garage or shed.

Once you have it primered, lightly sand it with a 320 grit paper and wipe it all down with the tack clothes and get rid of every bit of dust.

Wash and wipe down the table you will be spraying them on to make sure there will be no dust on it .. and no paper or any crap that will stick to the paint ..

Now to paint it ..

SOAK THE FLOOR! .. Get loads of water and fuck it down on the floor in the garage .. you need to make sure NO dust will blow up .. because it will leave shit on yer paint work..

Once you have a wet floor, a clean table, tacked down Casing .. place it on the clean table and lightly dust the paint on .. same as the primer .. build it up in layers .. go a fraction heavier for the last coat ..  

Then let it dry ..  If it is a metallic paint you are using .. get the laquire and put that on a little heavier than paint .. and it will give you a nice shine..

Fuckin hell.. that took me ages to write .. and i'm suppose to be working ..

Hope that helps.. Any other question .. just shout.

Cobby.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Thanks for the info, but i have another question
i gutted the computer case (buttons/locks/wires) with the plastic do i just spray paint that? this prolly sounds stupid and obvious ----> but i dont sand the plastic ... right?

If you want to change the color of the plastic you will have to do the same steps as you would with the metal.

Use a finer grit sand paper though.. 320 should be fine .. and very lightly sand it .. You will have to buy primer that is specificly for plastic... if you get it from motor factors it is normally shit used to spray on to car bumpers before they spray them with paint .. it is a clear primer, will look like the laquire coming out .. very clear..  Lightly layer it up .. to make sure you paint will never peal .. After each layer of primer drys .. you can lightly sand each one ..

Make sure you LIGHTLY sand .. because any heavy sanding with shine up like a flashing fucking light once it is painted.

So go easy with the paper :)
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk