FreeBSD & LCD

Started by Zerored, October 21, 2005, 11:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all!
I said Id be droppin in every now and then!
Anyway. Ive got freebsd 5.0 and im doing just fine. The only problem is i cant get x to start. Ive tried the default settings plenty of times and looked for specifics online. cant seem to find any. The version i have is geared toward CRTs, of which i dont have, Im working on a laptop. Ive sort of hit a wall so, any input would be welcome.
Also, during the xfree86 setup, it keeps asking me about horizontal and vertical. but i have an lcd/laptop so..?
thanks guys.

wow..still no takers? i do believe i have stumped the panel!

But seriously, why is it such a damn chore for x to get started. it seems metty has had issues also? i mean, the os is sweet. i totally enjoy...but it nags me to no end that i cant get something like X to start. And sure its 5.0, but i still would like to get it working. And Im doing this on a laptop.

did Zeroed ever get his LCD working? I installed BSD on my Sony Vaio last week and it worked fine.

Not a problem at all, although I was using X.org not Xfree86

Hrm... never replied since I was not well when it was posted.

I could have sworn FreeBSD 5 used Xorg... and a good move on that I think. So not sure why he used Xfree...

As for horizontal and vertical syncs, you'll have to either have autodetect (like xorg does) or read the manual of your monitor (and if it's a laptop then read the laptop manual I guess ?). But whatever you do, don't change it to just any values! Gremlins will come and eat your monitor if you do ...
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Missed this post too... oops! Sorry Zerored... VMWare has a utility you need to run in order to configure X for the right driver in the guest OS. You have to install the tools package and go from there... there is a FAQ associated with it. Let me know if you still need help with this and I can post the details...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

well ill fool around with it and see what results i get and let you know..i know i got to go to the vmware website cuz theres something there about it to install the specific vmware tools for freebsd.

Ill keep u updated..otherwise, everything is straight forward..but sometimes it seems like i just cant control the video card like i want to..the monitor works fine, its just the lack of colors and resolution

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk