Cisco

Started by wilnix, March 04, 2002, 03:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Can there be better hardware? I am biased into saying "NO". But, I am up for opinions on the subject...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

no
lol
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Actually I beg to differ... simply because different hardware for different applications might prove to be better. For routers and level 3 switching, I can say that Cisco has the shit on lock! (Although there are some really nice advances coming out from other vendors on layer 3 switching products!)
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

I've been pretty blessed with the opportunity to use some of the higher end switches and routers. Cisco's 6509 and 4006 switches offer things like VLANs Etherchannel (we have 4 gbps of bandwidth between core switches) makes life some much better. I won't be swayed easily in thinking that anyone can make a better product...

Wilnix

Well, at school, they let us rape the heck out of the 2600 series router, and i think they got a switch too.

For routing and switching, I am a firm believer in Cisco Products. Anything else, and I would be kidding myself if I said the same. Maybe that's just because I'll have my first run at CCIE next year...

Wilnix

Next year.. does that mean 2004.. (afterall, you posted this on the first of 2003) ? :)

Uhh.. anyhow, joking aside (I actually had forgotten it was a holiday yesterday heh)..

Good luck on that and uhm.. yeah I think Neek made a good point and Will said more..

It's really hard to say *anyone* entity is the 'best'.. best at what ? It's really opinion I think.. Everyone uses what is best for THEM... I do like Cisco but I imagine that there are other manufacturers that have good quality products.. Though I still think Cisco Systems is the best for layer 2 and layer 3...

Other layers I am sure there are others.. and I seriously doubt that if they even have them at all, that Cisco is good for the upper layers.. it's not all hardware ya know..

And as far as being the best.. well, no one, and nothing, can really be considered the best by *everyone*. Everyone has different views, perspection, and feelings, observations, and may know different things..

That's how I see it..

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

What would you all say to Linksys products.  (WAP, Cable Modem, Switch) For a Small Office/Home Office?

Linkey, he gets the job done, Alas poor linkey i knew him well. seriously tho its a decent router, for a soho lan easy to configure and share a single connection, havent heard anything bad about ther ability to stop all intrusions,

I am not impressed with linksys products. Just an opinion.

Wilnix

I have come to the conclusion that it really depends. Just like many other things in the world, environment is also important with routers. That, luck, and quality of the product.

Simple as that. I actually had some issues with some Netgear routers that really confuse me. Actually, probably others. I guess I will post about it when I can.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

for personal use i have a cisco 804 at home and a pc running fbsd / ipfw/ tripwire / portsentry for a firewall... I don't feel i need much more...and i dont think i could find much better for my purposes for home use...but I have seen some cool things lately, like wire access point / routers / broadband stuff...who knows?

Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk