'Viruses' plague UK companies

Started by Metgod, February 28, 2006, 01:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is kind of a stupid little rant, but based on a news article..

Viruses (and all the other relatives) are definitely troublesome. I'm no fan of them (although some of the older ones had some very interesting and witty payloads from a technical [and sometimes graphical] view). I especially dislike the nasty payloads. But some people need to THINK! I can understand it in some parts (like worms have been known to shut down servers -- even the Morris Worm in 1986 did that), and we all miss things and make mistakes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4755492.stm

But I'm absolutely stunned on the 50 days to clean up. _50_ days ? Reinstalling everything from scratch would take less than that! And especially if they backed up like they should be doing. I back up every day I do work, and I wouldn't lose money if I were to lose data... yet... these companies clearly have more important issues than malicious code. And even if they didn't backup ... 50 days to get rid of the mess ? No wonder they claim so much money lost ... that WOULD be devastating to a company ...

I think I now understand even more why there are so many breaches, so many openings in jobs in security, etc.

Now if only we could get rid of these "hacking 'schools'" and the idea that college education is the most important thing for a career ...
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I blame it on their crooked teeth...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk