What motherboard would go well with this computer?

Started by pzqwpo, May 07, 2009, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am planning on getting a custom computer built (yeah I could try to build it myself, but my luck is not the greatest and I would probably screw something up anyway). I would like some help in figuring out what kind of motherboard I should get for a computer that has:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB

anything else I should also look into? Like powersupply?

Good lord! So you're loaded, right?

In my experience, there is not a ton of difference in the performance of different motherboards. That particular processor multiplier unlocked, which means it's pretty much made for overclocking, so I'd suggest going with a motherboard that supports overclocking. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/phenom_ii_x3_720be/15.html has some tips on overclocking that processor from 2.8 to 3.7 Ghz--which is pretty sick, really.

This part of the review might be most helpful:

"I think the AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition is a great chip - and it is especially good for people who like to tinker and overclock, as with a cheap 780G based motherboard and DDR2 you can put together a nice fast overclocked system..."
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk