Does the First Amendment protect art mistaken for terrorism?

Started by Metgod, July 09, 2003, 04:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The other (Last ?) week an article on CNN basically stated that a person was arrested for DRAWING something and that it was an act of terrorism. Really, where and when will the bottom line be drawn ? This is absolutely absurd ! It reminds me of when I was in elementary school and I drew this picture that was full of blood.. and I was questioned by the joke of the school as if I did something wrong. Why ? Because there is a gang called "blood" in los angeles. Fuck that.. I was in elementary school and never heard of the gang. And to be honest, that was the only time in my entire life I have heard word of them. So here we go again, only this person is taken in for questioning because of a DRAWING (just like I was questioned years back..).

Things like this really go way too far. The below is a beginning of lawyers looking at the situation. Thankfully they see a problem with this claim that the artist commited a 'crime'.

What do you all think on this one ? Again, more issue son this so called freedom of speech.

Met.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/27/findlaw.analysis.hilden.art.terror/index.html

Does the First Amendment protect art mistaken for terrorism?
(FindLaw) -- Can art that mimics, or comments on, terrorism also be a kind of terrorism -- or, at least, a kind of criminal conduct? The question was raised by a controversial piece of public art created by a young New York City artist, Clinton Boisvert.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

He'll get nailed for Disorderly Conduct I bet. But Metty whether he does or not, his intention was to disrupt, inconvenience, whatever you want to call it. Remember I mentioned the freedom of speech (of which this isn't really applied) is limited to the rights of others? This goes beyond those rights...And if he gets away with ALL of those charges, he should (at the very least) get a ticket for littering.

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

I think my point was missed.. drawing isn't terrorism in any capacitance.. like I said, I got questioned when I was in grade school because I drew something that THEY ASSERTED to a gang. A gang I never heard of and have yet to hear of again.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

OKay, but drawing on a box that has characteristics of a bomb and leaving it in a heavily populated area is a different story...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

True.. guess I don't remember that from the original article.. oh well

yeah I could see that being a problem.

Met.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk