more trouble for MS...

Started by Metgod, April 26, 2006, 03:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4945230.stm

I'm not sure how I feel here. I don't think they should have to give away their source code, and I certainly don't think their code is a trade secret. But maybe that's not the real issue (haven't really read it in full yet).

Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds either way...

Thoughts ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SO they want MS to cough up some source code so people can write better media players?  What the crap?  Do they know what API's are?  OR all th SDK's MS release for that type of stuff?  Why should they have to show their source code--it is an intelectual property rights battle.  That's what I think anyway...

I have been known to side with MS from time to time, though...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Well I still haven't read the article in full (have had a lot going on), but I do think them trying to force someone to give their code a way is a bit much, if that is what is happening.

It isn't a trade secret (or by my definition of trade secret anyway), but it's certainly their work and should be protected. It's also their asset. Plus, in my view, MS is an American company, and so EU shouldn't have a say. But then I guess in times international treaties/etc should work like they do. So that's probably why it works like that (since it'd be difficult to legally change laws for each case).

In any case... it's definitely not fair to force them to give up their work (even if a lot of it isn't designed so well, they still have plenty of customers...)

"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk