Need a Suggestion

Started by Scagg, September 25, 2004, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay. Here it goes.

Recently someone gave me a CD with their wedding photos on it.  There is one single .exe file on it which begins a slideshow when activated.  I have tried to bust the .exe and extract just the images but nothing seems to work.  The CD expires in a week and I would like to get the images off before it is too late.  Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Hey,

I don't know actually. This may sound like a stupid question, but given that I don't know much about graphics or slide shows (or the situation), but, is it power point or something similar, or is it a seperate program ?

If it's power point (or similar), I'd suggest to do a web search or so, looking for things like extracting graphics from power point presentations, etc.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try hitting the 'Print screen' key on your keyboard to save it into memory and then going into a graphic editor, and then pasting it in. You'd have to do that for each graphic (and save each one), but if it does work and it's that important, it might just be worth it.

I don't know if that's helpful, but I don't really know the situation, either, let alone anything about graphics.

Not sure if anyone else here would have a suggestion, but it's been pretty empty as of late. Though, I'd say give a bit more info too, just in case.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Thanks for your comment.  I posted the same question in another forum and got the same answer from both of you.  I used Gadwin Printscreen (which I already had installed ::slaps forehead::) and saved the images in high resolution.  There was one catch though.... the wedding CD had 322 pictures!!  But the two hours of work paid off, so thanks again anyways!

Glad to be of help :)

Take care.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Yeah thats a tough one. Depending on the structure of the CD, the executable could have either been pulling the images out of a data file of some sort, or worst case scenario it was bundled into the EXE itself. Since EXE's are compiled binaries of source, its *really* hard to extract anything meaningful from them. The only way really is to know what code language it was compiled in and use a decompiler. Tho from experience, most decompiling apps ive used arent 100% effective.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk