Reaperman ponders the universe

Started by Reaperman, March 13, 2003, 12:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all - here comes the question. I'm currently in the process of building a brand new box... and this thing is like hush hush quiet cuz I'm bringing a first into the modding community with it... at least I haven't seen anything that's gonna look like this thing. My biggest bitch about it all is that mods (case and/or preformance) have become pretty much standard and I just hate being another... well, window follower :) No offense Taz... your box still kix ass. Anyway, if I were looking into mebbe getting this thing sponsered, anyone know how I'd go along doing that? I figger that they pay, and I build. Well, in reality, it'll prolly be me building... well, me and Vector, cuz I'm like deep in the hole on this whole art thing...and Vector kicks ass on graphic design, so I'm picking apart his brain for this. Anyway, to make a long story longer, I basically want to build a totally kickasstastic machine, load it with the best crap out there, make it aesthetically totally kick ass (and unique), and then get paid for using someone's specific parts in it so they can take shiny pictures of it and make more money by saying "Look at our product in this kick ass box." Yeah... that would be cool. So... yeah...any input on the whole box sponsership would be appreciated. TIA

The Drunken Reaper :-X

Hey Reaper,
Yeah i know a bit about it. I designed a cooling system for a casing. That was suppose to be released by a company in the US last year. But still has yet to see the light of day.... But!.. To start with. You want to get as much info detail, drawings, etc etc onto paper, CAD drawings etc .. everything down to materials used, marketing plans, development plans, costs, etc etc..  Then when you have all that, you need to patent (spelling) the idea. You can no doubt get info for that on some US Government website.  (I am in Ireland so can't help you on US). When you get that done, you need to decide what way you want to market it. Will it be a mod that you can sell to DELL to incorporate into their PC's, is it a mod that will be sold seperatly and modders by it?

Put it this way.. YOU ARE NOT! going to be able to manufacture it yourself. No matter how small the unit is. I mean a single part on the cooling system my and the guys designed. To get a mold made to cast it, we would have been looking at around 15-20,000 EURO.

If you want quick and easy. You could contact a company called PC Mods. (www.pcmods.com) I think. Now what they do is, develope and sell the unit, and work on a royalty basis. So you get a percentage off of each sale.  A good idea. But MAKE SURE!!! you retain the rights to sell and push the product to other developers.

If you want to do it the long way. You need to find someone that is will to manufacture the parts and compile the unit. Now that goes along the PC Mods front. But if you want to be different and set up your own company doing it. You can get each part made seperatly, compile and ship them yourself. (Would take alot of time effort, money.. and the outcome is not going to be great) .. So your best bet is to take a piggy back ride off the bigger companys.

Make sure it is something they will want, or convince them it is something they want, or will want to sell or better yet, comsumers will buy.  So all you need to do is get the idea together, push the idea to big companys, DELL, Compaq/HP, PC Mods, Overclockers, etc etc.. and you get royalties off of each sale, PLUS retain ownership and allowance to sell the idea to other companys. And you will be sortted..

I can not give you any more indepth details on what to do as I don't know the product. But if you have any specific question. Then e-mail me or leave a msg here

cobra@hfactorx.org
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Hey Cobra... appreciate the input. It's a hell of a start... at least more of a start then what I had so far. What I'm planning on really doing is basically modding the hell outta a aluminum case. Instead of the basic standard mod idea, this is slightly different... mostly aesthetics... but it's really going to be something different. In essence, take a case, take the creative genius (um... genius or dementia) of 3 seperate peeps, and throw it in a box that's just going to be different...something not mainstream. The cost factor on this really isn't bothering me anymore. I've gotten to the point that I'm sick and tired of looking at pre-manufactured poop that's selling for $150-$300 for a premodded case that a 4 year old could've built. Hence, I wish to do something different and throw it on the scene as what a few guys with a simple bit of creativity can come up with. What I plan on doing with this whole thing is not something that's going to be... how to put this firmly... replicated and duplicated and mass produced - that's not my goal here. My main goal is to present something that's going to shock.. and to educate people that a case mod is simply not a window with some LED's and neons (again, no offense Taz). Definately not to sell to Dell or some other family happy computing company. If anything... mebbe custom order(s) in the future... but it's mainly for me :) What can I say? I'm a selfish bastard. As for what's going inside of this beast of a case...well, again, no expense is going to be spared - at least on my budget :) I plan on going with a Asus A7N8X deluxe board, AMD Barton chip, GeForce FX, Corsair DDR RAM, two Seagate Barracuda SATA 80 giggers, a DVD burner (might opt out on this), Audigy 2, um.. and a bunch of custom made stuff that's gonna cost a mint... but I hope it's worth. :) Any input? :)
Thx all in advance.

Any input?  Yes.  Asus is CRAP.  No matter how deluxe they say it is!  I will never buy their products again.  Then again, they are using a that new chipset Nforce2.  And my horrable experance with An(s)uz was like 5 years ago so maybe.... good luck.

What about Asus products suck so much ? *curious*

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I have an ASUS MB in one of my boxes and it kicks ass! pfft!

:P

hehe
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Its the one with the NForce2 Chipset. I havent had any issues with it at all. Asus makes a solid product, although sometimes you need to get one or two before you get a working one. They have a larger lemon to good product ratio then other manufacturers. Outside of that, thier products are kick ass.

My mom still uses the prototype board I had for my P2 400 chip years ago when it was my machine. It was one of thier test boards with "Thinking Technology" which is similar to AI. It monitors all aspects of the system and the OS and makes on the fly adjustments to prevent crashes and system lockups among other issues. That think was so solid that she still uses that machine today. Too bad they didnt stick with that type of technology. Would have been pretty useful for Windows users across the globe ;)
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

I recently upgraded my system to the Gigabyte - 7VAXP MoBo. It is fucking outstanding.

Tis all i have to say about that
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Hm.. yeah... definately going with the Asus. I dunno..mebbe it's just me getting lucky with them, but I've never had a single problem. I used to run an old Asus K7V (slot A...not the socketed one), for my old Athy T-bird 900, and it totally kicked ass. Went up to a Asus 266 something or other...socket A, and well, now planning on the whole Asus A7N8X deluxe :) Um.. any details CB? Ya's got me curious now :) Now that I've been reading up on the GeForce FX... I'm not too sure I wanna go with that. I mean I love NVidia stuff... hell, I'm still running one of my boxes on a GeForce 2 128 MB ultra... but that's besides the point.  The Radeon 9800 series are coming out really soon, and so far, the benchmarks for it are beating the FX (excluding 3d Mark 2k3 and Quake3on like 1600x1400). This is also from the same guy that swore off of ATI because he was sold a 8 mb ATI Rage pro card that sucked so much, it made Jenna Jameson look like a virgin. Another big issue I'm learning about the FX is that's it's about as quiet as a dust-buster. Could care less about it taking up the PCI slot next to it...don't care about it... just if it's gonna make noise...well...dunno. Thanks for the input anyways

i probably have a motherboard in my computer...somewhere....

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk