Shell

Started by benthehutt, April 14, 2005, 05:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
As far as linux shells go, which ones do you guys prefer?  I use bash on my Redhat machine, but I've heard ksh, bsh, and ssh also rock.  What are the differences?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I've always been a fan of bash myself. zsh was interesting, but not enough to change my mind.
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

What's so different about zsh?  Does it have a different syntax or just other cool commands?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

April 15, 2005, 12:51:04 PM #3 Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 12:52:59 PM by Metgod
Used to use korn shell (on SunOS)... and also tcsh (FBSD)... but for the last year I use bash (linux) mostly.. I do miss FBSD though... it's probably still my favorite, but for certain reasons I use linux more now...

zsh is.. well, just google and you'll find loads of info
but here is the zsh faq...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/zsh/

"My Terminal is my Soul"

TCSH on BSD/Linux and usually BASH on Solaris...

I really like TCSH...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

BASH
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Thanks for the link Metty, there's a whole section on exactly what I wanted to know about bash, csh, and tcsh.  bash is even cooler than I thought!  rock on!! 8)

No problem

I do enjoy the bugs section in the man page for bash....

"It's too big and too slow."

But it's still a nice shell if you ask me.
"My Terminal is my Soul"

cmd.exe! fsck *sh!

nah, I don't care as long as it isnt sh....

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

No one for command.com?  That's strange...

I'm very new to linux.  I've only used liveCD so far and out of the hand full I have tried SLAX (Kill Bill Edition) is my favorite.  But that my just be because the only thing I've known up till now is Windows and Slax make the transfer over easy.

I think that csh is the best, as it allows C syntax in scripts.

I prefer bash, however. i m used to it  ;)

Best is relative anyway. :)

I do love C but from a language perspective, not a shell. Thankfully there is no C++sh

haha

ok.. maybe it wouldn't be so bad.. in fact...

Hey Ben.. maybe you'd like to tackle the task of a C++ shell ? :)

(yes, that's an inside joke that he should get but maybe no one else)
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Quote from: Metgod on May 09, 2006, 07:43:45 PM
Thankfully there is no C++sh

lol ;D

i don't know why, but i generally hate object-oriented programming. I prefer old, pure C code..

Me too. But, I did recently admit that it does have it's advantages, but at the cost of overhead. I guess it's a matter of style. I just don't prefer OOP. But I have been tempted to learn it one of these days... but haven't yet because I'm too busy working with C.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk