Computer, Hacking etc. Terms

Started by Phlux, February 25, 2005, 04:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If you are trying to find out what something means...for example what a computer Kernel is. I recommend www.webopedia.com for the search...it is alot better than www.dictionary.com for the following reasons.

You type in Kernel...and like most of the time when dealing with technology you'll run into other words you don't understand - right in the definition of what you're looking up!.

So here we go. You look up the word Kernel. The definition is:

The central module of an operating system. It is the part of the operating system that loads first, and it remains in main memory. Because it stays in memory, it is important for the kernel to be as small as possible while still providing all the essential services required by other parts of the operating system and applications. Typically, the kernel is responsible for memory management, process and task management, and disk management.

Each of the underlined words are links. When clicked on it opens a new page and allows you to read the definition for that. Within that definition there may be words you don't understand again...at which the routine starts all over again.

Not sure if this is helpful or if anyone already knew this site...but hey, if atleast ONE person didn't know...I succeeded. Have a good day.  8)

Too many adds.. personally i prefer WikiPedia.. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk