Government seeks freedom to snoop

Started by Uneek, February 11, 2003, 01:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Even more big brother shit...  >:(

Comments?

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-983943.html
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

actually, from what I remember,the Homeland Security Act gave the authorities the right to tap wires without a court order at all. Just more ways this government is totally corrupt. More ways that this country is corrupt. Not to say it's the worst or anything, but the gov't is gone too damn far !

the cyber terrorism conspiracy is complete shit

anyone remember the supposed attack on the Internet this year, that would shut it down, reported by 'experts' ? heh.. so much for their expertise huh ?  I know there were other supposed attacks by terrorists but they are all false.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

The "cyber" portion of the Homeland Security Act is still in it's "initiative" stage where they are still designing it. Some of the new policies here at work were affected by the draft by White House Administration, and I can honestly say after reviewing it for pertinent information on how it would affect/influence our sector here, it's all a bunch of bullshit. This bill however would completely circumvent any privacy protected by our constitutional rights and it makes me sick!

>:(
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

It's interesting, but I was really surprised when I saw this. The idea to put a penalty on use of cryptography with intent to commit crime is nothing new. I'm actually reading the congressional report (yawn) from 1995 when a policy panel was convened of industry experts. Unfortunately this was the only recommendation that they made that was really bad. All the others were really good, de-regulation of the Munitions Control List, etc. Basically allowing unescrowed crytographic programs out to the public. Unfortunately they didn't forsee  the ubiquitous use that would come in the future and I don't think that they really thought through how the gov't would use this type of penalty in the future. ( I hope this post is coherent, I need more coffee!  ::) )
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

http://www.cybercrime.gov/cryptfaq.htm

I read that some months back. It certainly shows how fucking hypocritical and controlling the government is. They just want their information safe but want others to have a backdoor (so the gov't can get in !). Assholes. Constitutional Rights... yeah right. That is complete and utter bollocks. The notion that the gov't wants to be able to 'monitor' others without a court order is fucking scary and sad.

Any comments or thoughts about this one ? I can see there being a lot here.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk