tostop

Started by Metgod, February 04, 2003, 11:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Also for unix and linux..

stty is, of course, setting modes and keys and such. Another trick I learned years ago now, is a certain mode:

tostop

Say you are running a lot of jobs in the background but some require input at some point. Well, if you type:

'stty tostop'

the job will wait in the background if it needs any further input. Just run the process in the background (appeneding an '&' after the command), and when you need or want to, just pull it back up with the 'fg' (foreground) command.

Let's say you are compiling something and it's at the make config part, but you are also doing something else.

make config [options] &

It will give you the job id. To pull it up 'fg %id' where %id is the id of the job :)

It's important to note that that does not mean the PID, but the job id (placed in brackets).

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

helpful hint for win-tonix converters:

in windows you can see the amount of space being taken up by a folder's contents by right-clicking on it and then clicking on properties...

in *nix you can use the du command. It is a bit more useful then you expect so man du first and check out the options...like "du -hs <folder>" for example...

Good luck...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk