MS Even fuck up Cell Phone OS's too.

Started by Cobra, January 19, 2003, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Check this out. MS Aint happy struggling with bugs in there PC OS's that they feel the need to struggle with Cell phones aswell.

Have a read... urgh!

Microsoft plans to update its Smartphone 2002 operating system to fix security flaws that make it possible to send rogue software programs to phones that use the OS, a representative said Friday.
The Microsoft representative did not provide a specific release date for the update, but Stuart Jackson, a representative for U.K. carrier Orange, which sells the affected phone, said the updated software is expected in about two weeks.

So far there have been no reports of phones being infiltrated by unauthorized software. Orange's SPV is currently the only phone using the Smartphone 2002 operating system.

There is growing evidence from both Orange and the developer community that software developers looking to create legitimate programs for the SPV discovered the gaps and began exploiting them.

Orange still hasn't made available to developers SPV phones that have been "unlocked," meaning phones that can run software that hasn't been certified by Orange, software developer Damian Hack said Friday in an e-mail to CNET News.com.

But how else, Hack asked, can developers test the software they've created before submitting it to Orange, which then certifies it for use on its network. Hack wrote that he and other developers, frustrated by Orange's pace, took matters into their own hands.

"The Orange SPV has not been 'hacked'," Hack wrote. "The (security measure) has, rather, been legally circumvented by exploiting existing bugs in the bundled software and operating system. This circumvention allows developers to test their applications on their own SPV prior to going through the Orange certification process. This is surely a necessity in any robust and quality-assured development scheme."

Orange's Jackson said Friday that the company would make "unlocked" phones available to developers sometime next month.

The possibility of rogue software flooding through cell phone networks is among the worst fears carriers have, said Alan Reiter, an analyst with consulting company Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing. Cell phone networks became vulnerable to such attacks when carriers began selling phones that can download software and games, ring tones and business tools, he said.

But Hack explained that the two methods of avoiding the phone's security will not turn the world's 1.2 billion cell phones into a breeding ground for crippling viruses. The gaps developers discovered still do not let them commandeer the phone's radio, the only way to dispatch a virus to other phones, Hack said.

"Mobile developers are generally responsible people, which is evidenced by the lack of viruses on the Orange network to date," Hack wrote.

Microsoft had no further comment on the flaws.

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

isn't it amusing (and scary) that MS is always 'fixing' these holes.. and yet, they open another one... or it crashes.. or doesn't do a damn thing in the process.

and then they deny so many flaws

How could *ANYONE* who has that reputation claim they are fixing holes ? How could anyone of that reputation still have some supporters, or who knows what else..

there was actually more to this post but don't even remember..

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

swiss cheese is hard to plug...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

hahaha..

I like that Will.. a good way of describing MS and security..

swiss cheese.. that is good !!

I have to remember that one
"My Terminal is my Soul"

it's their new naming scheme... ;D

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Ok folks.

!! ATTENTION !!

MS Security is now officially known as SWISS CHEESE !

No wonder it is hard to patch.. no matter how many holes you fill you can never fill them all as more appear...

finally it makes sense...
"My Terminal is my Soul"

if u would plz help me too find information on how to
burnout my cell phone so that i don't have too pay for a contract? plz get back

ok.. I've heard enough of this nonsense. You, missy, have caught me at a bad time. Fuck you.

Not only am I indirectly involved with the phone company, you are asking me to help you commit a felony.

Go stick a splinter up your ass and I mean up until you reach your colon and peirce it.

From Michigan eh.. I  might just look up where in Michigan you are and report you to the phone company there. Maybe several wireless phone companies too.

Or maybe I should find out where you are and post your info here...

Don't you ever post here again.

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

hahaha !!! Man that is fantastic ..

Piercing your colon with a splinter! .. LMAO

a 24mil Dermil Punch right through the Colon! .. hahahah

oh man ... Metty .... your a good guy man :)

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Thanks mate :)

That just came to my mind at the spur of the moment, and it sounded perfect. Apparently you thought so too :)

You're a good guy too, Cobby!
"My Terminal is my Soul"

that was excellent, a good read. everyone's heard the microsoft vacuum cleaner joke, but it could never be more true...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk