Internet via Bluetooth for compatible devices...

Started by Cobra, December 14, 2003, 09:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Right folks, took me a little while to figure out ... about 4 or 5 minutes. But nevermind that... This is great and it saves my phone bill.

Okay i decided to play around and figure this out primarily for the N-gage, so i can play the n-gage arena and not end up with a bill of 1,000 Bucks.

As most of you know cell phone networks charge for the amount of data you transfer. And if you are on the N-Gage arena gaming against someone. It will cost you a mint! ..

Soooooo... here is how to play on the n-gage arena and connect to the internet without running up your cell phone bill.

Okay first of all you need to make sure you have a bluetooth compatible PC and cell phone and then pair the devices. Once the devices are paired you go to access points and create a new one.

Leave all the fields as they are except for: Gateway. You will want to set this to your PC's IP address... Not your IP for the internet, your network IP. So for example 192.168.0.1.

Then you click on Advanced Configuration and type that same IP address in for both DNS fields and leave the rest of the fields as they are.

You may need to reboot your phone.

Then when you go to connect to the internet you can select "New Access Point" as your default access point .. and you will be able to browse the internet, access e-mails and go on the N-gage arena through your PC connection, at fast feckin speeds.

This should work for all Bluetooth enabled devices. Also on a side not the main benafit to this is for the n-gage arena to keep your bills down. You can go on the net from the PC not your phone :)  But to game from your phone you can now do it through that method .. and not run up your phone bill.

For browsing the internet you will need Opera browser or something like that .. The default browser with the Symbian OS wont allow you to select an Access point that is not completed and has an Access Name.

Well anyway .. Hope that helps anyone with an N-Gage .. or who just wants to go online from your phone for whatever reason.

Have fun!

Cobby
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Nice work Cobby!

;D
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

Sorry, a bit new to all of this stuff. COuld you explain where to find the "Advanced Configuration" setting?

Thanks

ZBD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk