Triple Booting....

Started by godaigo, March 29, 2002, 12:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just a quick question about installation, suppose I was installing BSD, Linux and Win2k all on the same computer. Does this sound like it would work: First install Win2k, then BSD (or Linux) and not install the bootloader, then on the last install (Linux or BSD) let the bootloader (GRUB, LILO, etc) detect and boot all three operating systems??? Would their be any problems, I mean other than having any microsoft product on your computer :) .....
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

I used to do just that on this workstation... Win98se, SuSE, and FreeBSD... I used Boot Magic as the boot manager... worked fine.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

I tried to use LILO as the boot manager, but it didn't detect the BSD partition that I had set up, I've thought about using BootMagic, but I figure that one of these others SHOULD work, maybe GRUB? Any idea's, there's only so many times that I want to re-install things you know! I could always use Fips(sp) I guess.....
Godaigo

simple solution...

trash LILO. It blows goats. Actually, Linux does overall... but that's another story...

okay, sorry.. I know I'm not very helpful, unless the truth is helpful :)
why not follow what Neek did ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Well.... let's see.... as I understood it BootMagic cost's money right? If I'm mistaken then maybe I'll give it a try, but I've also had a bad experience with it. Mostly my own fault for trying things that I know nothing about, but still I guess it's made me a little gun shy. I think that I figured out how to deal with it in lilo, but other options are interesting. Basically from what I could tell, I can get all the info I need when I'm partitioning and setting up my mount points in Mandrake. After which I would just go and create an entry in lilo from scratch using the previously aqcuired info. I haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting for my new video card to show up first, but I'll let ya'll know if anyone's interested in how it turns out....
Godaigo

FreeBSD's Boot Manager will work just fine. Just install fbsd last and pay attention to what you are doing. Check out the freebsd Handbook online BEFORE you start. As far as my opinion goes, It's a waste of time if you plan on doing more then just learning about the os to multiboot. But that is just me. I'm pretty sure that once you've learned what FBSD is all about the linux partition will go away.

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Thanks for the info, I'm basically just playing around with it (which explains the triple boot). I have a ton of stuff to learn about all of them, but it's hard to learn if you can't play with it and break it (although that's not the goal at present  ;D). Any advice on configuring FreeBSD's X server??? (This is fun!)
Godaigo

Xfree86 is pretty easy to install, especially from initiail FBSD install or /stand/sysinstall. The only thing I would make mention of would be that you should make sure the type of video card you BEFORE you start the install. But, then again, that should be for ALL of your devices on initial install...

Wilnix

**mutters something about bitch ass Compaq reading the drive geometry incorrectly when attempting to install BSD**

**mutters something about bitch ass x-servers not working correctly on his HP laptop's video card**

And with all my bitching, BSD is still my OS of choice... even in console mode without running X Windows...  ;)

It seems like I'm in for a lot of command line configuration first, when I tried to install the x-server for FreeBSD it basically didn't have the right drivers for my video card. (Geforce 3) So I guess that I'll just have to go ahead and download that first and then configure the system. To change the tack of the discussion a little... I'm familiar with setting up partitions with Linux and mount points, etc. However, it seemed to me that BSD wants just one partition and then you divvy that up into something resembling logical drives that are actually mount points(?) Is that right, or did I really miss something. Admittedly I need to sit down and really immerse myself in the literature, but that was definately the impression that I got... I think I need another beer 8)
Godaigo

godiago,

Nah... that's pretty much the way it is... ;)~

at install time you can break them up. especially if you have seperate hdds in place. I have /usr on one hdd and / on another.

Will

yah... me too.. the BSD box I just set up has a 20 gig drive with:

/
swap
/var
/tmp

another HD with:
/usr

and another HD with:
/ftp

I think that's a good way to go...especially if you have any useful data to be saved...

Wilnix

well, im currently trying win2k, mandrake, and suse. now, i can do a dual (easy), but with the triple, i keep running out of partition space (4max). so, when i go wit drake, ive got win2k already there, so thats one (win2k being one). mandrake asks for a boot part and a swap part and a home part(ition). So, right there im used up. No room for any other 0ses. Any suggestions? like on how to make a  simple triple boot...actually a boot loader even lilo that will show all my 0ses (win2k, man, suse) in the menu, and not using up all my partitions. Im sure theres a way, i just havent found it yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk