Hubs, bah.

Started by wilnix, March 04, 2002, 03:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If your running more then 5 computers. Dont use a hub. First of all, they broadcast all traffic causing collisions (boo.). Then, they may say 10mb ports, but in actuality, they dont give you a 10mb on each and every port. some may be 5mb, others 12mb. Seriously, they suck. In a business environment, a switched network is the only way to go...

Don't believe me? Try it...watch the collision light go, and users get mad.

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Oh how true that is !!!
HUBS SUCK !!

Even for less than 5 boxen they suck. I always look down upon them. The broadcasting
alone is bad enough, but geesh... Give me a break. What crappy hardware.

They are slow, yeech. Go for a switch as maddy says !!!

"My Terminal is my Soul"

With the prices of todays switching hardware, I have to agree. There's no reason to go with shared bandwidth in a business environment. However, if totally unavoidable, nothing less than a 100 meg hub will have to do. (10 meg hubs suck ass!) Even my home network is running an all 100 meg switched environment. Not expensive at all!
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

My coworker has a cisco cat5000 at home. That asshole.  ;)

I'll have to take home the 5500 we have here!!  ;D

Wilnix

yep yep
switching technology has gone down in price...
w00w00 !!!
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Yeah, but the not for 4006s and 6509s...

Take a look. BIG money....

Wilnix

Unfortunately there are still IT admin idiots out there who don't know what a collision domain is. The last place I worked at was horrific. Daisy chained 24 port hubs - eeeeek!!!!

Even Token ring is better than that :p

Heh... sounds like this place when me and Wil started working here. Gotta love integrating DECNet and Ethernet... Everything was connected via DEC networking equipment, including the DEC Bridges and DEC Repeaters... Shitty ass 10 meg hubs costing $2500 a piece for a 16 port... blah!  "Ok... let's replace this... and this... and this..." Managed 100B-TX switches are much nicer! Now if I could just port all that damn VMS data over and do completely away with DECNet...

Yeah, that was fun...

"What's this COAX cable doing?" | "Nothing, they just left it there for fun." | "Right along side the CAT3?" | "And the CAT5, go figure" | ...

And yet even today it stands; along side the BEST VIEW IN THE CITY!! (damn I miss that.)

:'( WIlnix

Muahahaha!!! Yes... the sights downtown are to die for! Especially in the spring and summertime... Gotta love those short skirts and summer dresses and... oh! You all thought we were talking about the landscaping??? Bah!  ;D

Where I'm at, there's gray hairs and no hairs!

>:( Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk