rocking a local host

Started by tgCid, October 16, 2004, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I live in a dorm room, and its ethernet, a local internet connection, and its really slow.  I suspect that people are using p2p programs to really stress out the bandwidth.

Is there anyway to get adminstartion access, and turn off those ports using telnet or some other program?

Or if that can't be done, is there anyway to just mess up the whole network for the hell of it?

Well, are you talking about gaining access to your peers machines and shutting them down from using Kazaa and all or are you talking about doing it to the Proxy/Firewall you all share?

Also, why in gods name would you want to mess up the network "for the hell of it"? Exactly what would that achieve and its benefits?
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

The first method you suggested seems too systematic.  I don't know who exactly is using the bandwidth.  The second way would be best.

I tired to telnet through a the local host and it uses ssh, I'm not on my computer so I don't know the version at this moment.

I would like to mess it up for the hell of it because, I hate the bastards that live in my dorm.  I much rather see their agnst and sacrifce my connection if possible.  They download huge movies 24/7 for their benefit. My connection is similar to dial up, so I could care less if Idon't have a internet connection.

Well, first we should clear up your terminology. Localhost is your machine on a network. Its a little confusing to some when you say you connected to the localhost ;)

Second, youd need to dig up more info on what device that firewall/proxy is to do anything that would be to your advantage with it. Find out if its a server, what OS it runs, is it a hardware firewall or software driven, etc. These need to be answered before you could go any further. Run some queries against it and see how it responds. If its running SSH doesnt say much about the device. There are many freely availible applications out there which will probe a network device and return any info on it. SNMP is a common way also as most admins dont properly configure the SNMP deamon for permission based queries.

Personally, and i know im not alone, crashing the network isnt something I condone nor encourage. All it would serve to do is get you pinched by the campus and could cause you problems in legal terms if you got caught because most colleges have stiff penalties for internal cracking and in some extreme cases result in expulsion. Your idea of attempting to gain access on the firewall and locking down the ability for these people to suck up bandwith is best. Though you'd need to keep it covert.

Just curious tho, have you tried the formal complaint approach through whomever manages the network? Generally most on-campus networks have restrictions in play for P2P clients and blocking them.

I'm not even going to comment on this thread except for saying that the initial post is contradictory to itself and completely moronic...  :-\
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

So so true.

I can't get on the network. I know what I'll do! I'll shut it down! Then no one will use it, not even myself!

haha

"My Terminal is my Soul"

didnt much make sense to me either... ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk