An illegal scheme on a website

Started by GaZ, November 29, 2004, 03:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all, I'm Gareth.  As you can tell i'm new here.
But I have a problem.  There is a website called www.getgiftsforfree.com and it is running an illegal PONZI scheme.
For those who don't know what a ponzi scheme is, I can explain.
A ponzi is an illegal scheme in which people who join the scheme early can earn money from people who join later in the scheme.  I hope this makes sense.  The important thing is that it's illegal.
I am trying to find a way of doing something about it.  I would like to gain admin access to the website so I could alter some things, but I would have to think carefully about what I do so I don't get caught.
Maybe this is illegal itself.  But I want to know is it possible to get past security and steal the administative password?  The source code seems very complex.
Hopefully I can get an answer from you soon.
Regards, Gareth

Pyramid Schemes are not illegal. They are a scam but not illegal.

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

Why is pyramiding prohibited? Because plans designed in this format inevitably collapse when no new customers can be recruited. And when a plan collapses, most people -- except perhaps those at the very top of the pyramid -- lose their money."
- U.S. Federal Trade Commission

That is the message at the top of www.matrixwatch.org, a community dedicated to getting rid of these matrix scammers.
Would it still be possible to get into the website and take an administrative password?  I've looked at editing the source code but it is very complex and I wouldn't know how to do it.  My friend said he did it in 2 hours but retrieved an invalid username and password.

Well that is the US and as i do not live in the US, i can't comment on the laws there. However in Europe and certainly in Ireland it is not illegal.

But! To answer your question..

Yes it is possible to get administration privelages on the hosting web server.

But i am not about to type up a step by step tutorial like I and many other members of staff have done countless times on this board.

So please do some research into what you want to do. If you have a specific question then feel free to ask. But you have to be less general than you are being.

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk