Opening port 23

Started by benthehutt, April 27, 2005, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Right now I'm at school and I need some help opening the telnet port.  I've got a shell account on sdf.lonestar.org and I want to be able to get to it from school, but I think the school has blocked the port from the inside.  Is there anyway around it other then disabling whatever firewall/virus crap they have on here?  Or can I do a "virtual telnet connection" from some other port?
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Do you mean that you can't connect to lonestar from school ?

If so then they probably did block outbound connections (to that port or any others). Guessing they use a proxy server or something similar.

Just a guess but that's a common way schools do it.

Or did you mean something else ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

That's what I mean...is there anyway around it?  It's really handy to put papers on the server and get them here...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

It probably depends on how they have it set up.

If it's a proxy or some kind of filter that isn't on the puter you're at, then I guess you'd have to know where it is and go from there. If it's on the each computer (guessing not) then you'd probably have more luck.

What I did in my college days... because I didn't have my server open then (still mostly don't) is get a yahoo email. Then I'd just mail it to my yahoo mail (from yahoo or if at home from my home addy). And then I could grab it whether I'm at home or at school. Worked out nicely.

And to be honest... I would guess you should be careful with trying to get around their security setup. It might get you in a lot of trouble. Of course, I'm saying this when I was the one in highschool who shut off the power to a computer lab on several occasions.

but you get the idea...
"My Terminal is my Soul"

The email idea is always good, but I like being able to use my shell account whenever.  Alas...

I guess it's not really that big a deal, I'll be outta this school soon enough--transferin' this fall. :D

i may be reiterating what somebody else said, bt change the telnet listening port on lonestar to an unblocked port (like 80, 8080, and 443) and you'd be all set, unless you arent the admin....

in that case...i would need more info before i caould help...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk