Welcome Vector186

Started by Metgod, January 09, 2003, 05:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 16, 2003, 03:11:03 AM #15 Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 03:29:30 AM by Syxx
Gentoo linux is sexy, its my choice for linux at the moment, very nice ports system  ;D

I like FreeBSD also though

Mandrake just filed for bankruptcy protection  ::)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/press/briefs?n=/mandrakesoft/news/2405

note to self dont do that again, i have a sarcastic streak a mile wide and a dislike for M$, thank you for the info on the difretnt flavors available, i did get to use a few hp 7000 boxes, but they were moody to sy the least. just a quick question for met, how many words per minute do you type id be ther for hours trying to wright a post that long.

Vector,

You'll get used to my sarcasm and satire too. *grin*

But yeah, lots of good operating systems out there, all with different bases (based on another OS or architecture that is). Just choose whatever bests suits you.

Hell, if you want, use Novell (kidding !).

How fast can I type..

Well I used to type around 100 WPM (and on the number keypad I did some 400+ digits a minute with good accuracy), but I don't think I do that now. And with this keyboard, it makes things a bit difficult with keys getting stuck or not working right. I mean it's bad enough it has two windows keys, but then this. My hands aren't too well either lately. But even without that, I don't think I could type 100 WPM anymore. I do have a friend who can type around 300 WPM (believe it or not). As far as how long it takes me to make posts, well, it depends. I do so many things at once here, so it could be hours. In fact, I have been in the middle of a post, got distracted by something else, and then I don't finish it at all. But if I sat through the whole post, it'd probably depend. It would depend on what is in my mind (regarding the post and elsewise), what I wanted to say, and changing things back and forth (I am afterall, extremely perfectionistic). That post didn't take long at all, but can't say how long for sure. (Hey Taz, how about getting a timer here to see how long posts take ?  ;) )

Also bear in mind that I type a lot. All the time doing different things. And when I am writing something I have stuff down quickly (thinking it, and typing it so it looks good in whatever).

Met

"My Terminal is my Soul"

Hehe, well as far as the Linux part of this discussion, I'm partial to SuSE myself. Im definitely not too fond of RedHat. They try too hard to emulate Windows. Especially 8.0, looks like friggin XP / 2000 and seems to have almost as many holes.

Ill say this in defense of XP tho, its so far the most solid easy to use version of Windows they've put out. A good recovery from the Microsoft Millennium virus, (ahem), I mean OS...

XP's bitchy tho and to get it working well and solid theres need for a lot of tweaking.

In regards to servers, if forced to choose between NT4 and 2000, id have to lean towards 2000. NT4 is so damn old that the features which make an admins life a bit easier just arent there and it can become very unstable when you start to tweak it. 2000 is a good solid kernel so it responds a bit better to tweaking and customization. Im kind of pissed these days tho. I can read and understand BSoD's (Blue Screens of Deaths) on NT4 and that skill is becoming more and more meaningless as NT4 boxes are slowly replaced. ;P

And as far as dues go, Cobby's behind on his. ;)

I think the last figure my secretary gave me was in the 6 digit range. Hehe.

Hackers Local 31337, hehe
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

Good post Taz, good post.

I agree on the NT v. 2k deal as well. Not only does 2k have a better interface and is more useful, it definitely is more stable and even more secure (I would think).

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

I'm behind on my Dues ? did i miss something ?

heh

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

was wondering the same thing, Cobby....

Met
"My Terminal is my Soul"

install windows for workgroups, be a real man!

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

win for work groups, YEA :), looking around for alternative os's for the poops and haha's of it atm finaly got xp to obey me, me as in i not me the virus. and sorry for the prolonged absence again was bummed almost had an admin job at raytheon, but it fell thru :(

Okay I still want to know what taz ment by. I am behind on my dues. hehe .. So if someone could fill me in on that one. WOuld be much appreciated. hehe :)
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

yeah ! Taz, where are you ?!

hehe

no clue Cobby, no clue
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Vector: Where are you located? As far as I knew, Raytheon only has two working plants left and one of them is here where I live which is also the main plant, (and I think the only one that will be left soon.) I had gotten a Network Admin job offer at Raytheon a long time ago when my ex was working there. I ended up declining that offer and ended up working where I'm at now, and I'm glad. They actually sorta sub-contract out all their IT work to a company called CSC I believe, so I'd actually be working for them under Raytheon. Anyhoo... I lub my job at the moment, so I'm happy I didn't accept.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

im in jersey plant was in maryland area pretty much bummed at the whole state of the it field, job or business wise, still toying with getting my bache4lors in telecomunications managment, from devry unless anyone knows any place else to go for that, any help would be apreciated.

Long time no see/hear vector  :P Hope things are well for u back in...well...wherever the hell u are now. Plan on going back there sometime soon.. Mebbe catch up with u. Peace

1 dollar membership fee....

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk