Time limit to pressing charges?

Started by Syxx, June 24, 2003, 04:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone know if there is a specific time period which the goverment has to come after you after a hack?

Like say someone was in boxes he shouldnt have been all the time including .gov and .mils almost daily 3, 4, 5 years ago, could they still come after that person today if more evidence or more about a real identity was found or something?

It used to be 4 years, but that has all changed now. You will permantly be a wanted man, it is just the resources put into tracking you down changes. So if there is a more recent hack on .mil .gov system, which is just as - or more severe, they would concentrate more resources on that case. After awhile they do stop the investigations. But if more evidence comes to light.. they will have no trouble taking you down, and would be fully within their right to do so.

Or if they have nothing better to do, they may re-open the case.. etc etc..  

Lets put it this way .. Once you have drawn attention to yourself. Your fucked for life. I know other people here would have first hand experience of that.
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

June 29, 2003, 04:56:38 PM #2 Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 04:58:46 PM by Tazinator
I believe the limit is 2 years now. Although I think each individual state has its own laws regarding that. Federally though I believe its 2 years and states can only extend it from that point.

I do know that once an investigation is open, its 7 years to bring something against someone. (Personal experience makes me say that). However the danger with that is after 7 years if nothing still comes up, the case can always be reopened. Theres a whole lot of gray area which screws peoples rights in many ways.
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

They get grumpy when you make humpy...no more yanky your wanky...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk