#HFX on undernet

Started by wilnix, June 06, 2002, 02:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
hahaha

Well it depends on how you advertise.. to me, adverstisement is just about the same as
spam.. really annoying. But erm, to be honest with you, I think I know why we don't
get as much traffic. It's really quite simple:

Excite:

We had a forum there as you all might remember. All someone had to do is
search for a community on hacking and HFX would show up. Voila.. instant gateway
to hackers (some true, some fake). Then they saw I had an IRC chan and decided to
join. We had tons of people (Rat, Implementor [props to him], etc.). Cobby found HFX
and joined the forum.. he then came on over to IRC. Then I talked to you (Neek for those
who don't follow) and got you back on irc after leaving because of so many idiots.. and
you came to #HFX ... then I got you part of HFX, and Cobby joined too.)

Now we don't have us on a search engine in THAT form.. sure we are in search engines
(hell, check yahoo.com and type 'Metgod' hehehe.). But really, some things that might help:
- have a communications section on this forum and include a 'folder' on IRC
- I could publicize it in X-Zine (I might have in the first issue)

Those are two REASONABLE ways.. actually, just run it by me before you do it, and
I'll be fine.. seriously, no biggie.. I sort of understand what you're after. Although
the more bots, the better hehe. even I don't chat there as much (though I do) cause
I MUD more..

I guess that's it.. any more comments, suggestions .. ?
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Hey HEY!! Now, i came into digital being during the Excite dayz...CHILL (hehe) but yer right. I dont think we can keep all the riff-raff out in either cases (con advertising or the irc channel), but regulations should be set and enforced, there were some really stooopid pple in the excite forum.

"IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!"
  (Including the brainless)

Any suggestions?

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

How about we just start a seperate channel like #hfxcon or something that will be ok to advertise atleast for the con or whatever. Then we can still chat in #hfx and not have to scroll up 5 screens to see what was said while we were afk for 3 minutes.

I like that idea. I think keeping a channel like #hfxstaff on invite only and then having another for advertisment purposes would be great. Advertising in this industry seems to be a must...

Wilnix

I actually used to hold #hfxstaff heh
Maybe I can do it again.. just that 5/7 of bots I'm an OWNER (+n) went down.. I can
get two back up soon...

let me know...
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Can we get somebody to reg it? like Taz or Cobra? The reg process is pretty painless...

Wilnix

Haha. Doubtful. Taz never uses IRC.. well once in a blue moon...
Cobra isn't on IRC enough, and not even sure if he has a  X user name, or
if he really wants one. No need to register it once I get all my bots up. Seriously,
it's pointless. Besides, i'm already in 10 channels.. And I can't guarantee I'm on a
server that allows more channels than 10... Also, once I get the IRCd up we really
don't need to have #hfxstaff .

"My Terminal is my Soul"

works for me...

wilnix

I think ads for the channel and con should also include the forum. This thing is turning into a good resource and more people participating in it would only improve upon it. I mean when you think about it, how many other large groups are running a forum? HNC does now I think after we've had ours running for a while, but theirs you have to be a member. At least on ours we give the option of anonymously reading and if you want to post then you have to register.

People knock forums like this saying it brings nothing but trouble, but if its run right like we have been running it, it brings about positive things.

Im not a big fan of chat, only because its difficult to stay on topic in a chat room and you get easily sidetracked. Im not fond of that. I like forum discussion better as its a bit harder to deviate from the topic at hand.

Just my opinion of course...
"A well known hacker is a good hacker, an unknown hacker is a great hacker..."

I don't care what your parents told you, you aren't special.
  • https://github.com/tazinator

Taz:

I agree with you, but I also think there is much more traffic going through the chat servers then there is our forum and I think we are just hurting ourselves by not abusing the chance to spread the word that we exist.

Wilnix

well..

Let's look back a little. When Cobby decided to start the DC cup, I immediately
put a topic up for him. That's fine. If HFX con work continues, we can have that their,
but. Other urls can be posted.. humor, whatever.. quotes... it doesn't matter.
It's just what I described above.  I'd have to look at them again, but what I just said is fine.
Just bear in mind that... after a netsplit, the topic can get out of synch and thus be lost on
some servers. Also, the topic is bound to be changed for different reasons.
IRC topics aren't exactly a good way to advertise unless it's always reset which isn't gonna
happen. And I don't want timers going that message the channel every 10 minutes (or whatever) about
something. Especially with color (in fact I kickbanned [for five minutes] on color now.. heh.. I have to add some people
so they don't get kicked for it, but I really do not like colors. Don't like timers either (especially
when it's about what someone is doing that really has no interest for the channel..)  Ask anyone
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Whatever works. Im still waiting for an actually meeting to take place...

Wilnix

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk