NIS

Started by CBK, July 08, 2002, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
OK here is one for your all (it's been quite lately)

I have just reached (skiped) the NIS section of Linux, Network Administrator's Guide  And I like it!  NIS is what I have been looking for and I didn't even know it.

Currently i have only 2 computers connected to my LAN.  with an ppp uplink.  One system, Laurel (currently an cryix 166Mhz with 64MB, 20Gb HDD )is acting as my gateway for the other, Hardy. (AMD 750 256MB, 40Gb HDD)
I have 4 other Marines who use my computer (Hardy) for internet access and email  Right now NIS ins not that big of a deal sence we only use Hardy.

Now when I get back to Sandiego,($HOME) my LAN will grow to 6 systems (maybe 7 if my wife gets me a laptop) and up to 10 users (LAN party! ;D ) It would really suck having to set up all of those accounts  on EACH computer.  But you all allready knew that.  So I'm planning on using NIS and Syimba (I have one windows box for my wife) to manage all of the users accounts.

What I'm looking for is;  1.) Can/sould my NIS server be the same as my Gateway?  2.) What kind of hardware should an small LAN use for an NIS server.  3.) For those who have used NIS what things should I look out for when configuring ,securing and manageing it?

I have read that there are different versions/flavors of NIS also.  Which one would be the best and most secure?

And for you all that are going to harp on me for running Mandrake Linux,  OK I know allready!  I'm getting FreeBSD and Debin when I get back to the States.  The network connection sucks out here!

Well thank you all for you help

This should have been answered earlier...

CBK:

1) It can be but isn't normally run off of a gateway just because it can be reached by the outside world.
2) For a small LAN, an NIS won't take much to run off of. To be quite honest though, it may be easier to setup a general account for guests and move on. You'll only have 10 systems max, it isn't that big of a deal....
3) IF your gateway is bastionized and locked down and has all the latest patches, your NIS server is the same, then it is pretty secure...Configuration and maintenance answers can be found online. I f you dont know where to start, try google.com

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

I missed the rest:

What is the best / most secure? I'm not sure, but check for exploits online for the ones you might consider.

And about the FBSD / Linux comment: Use whatever you want. Mandrake is a pretty solid Linux system, so is Debian. Mandrake has a firewall edition software pack that might be good for your gateway. Hell, use windows for all I care, just be prepared to back it up so when it gets the root you aren't stuck with downtime.

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

yeah, I may sometimes insult Linux... but fuck, i don't care what others use.
it's none of my goddamned business to be honest. I won't get into why I like say
Fbsd, Solaris, etc over linux because it's partly silly.. but you know what..linux
has it's good things too.. so go for it.. I 'm not gonna bash you for it
"My Terminal is my Soul"

Cool, thanks.   I really like Linux but I must say I like the whole Unix style of computering (is that really a word?)  I just feel better about the file system structure, the shell (vs. the c:\) The idea of open source software! I can't wait to start going back to collage and work on my BSCS and take some Unix classes or C++ programming.  

As far as my systems....
I have (well had for a few days before I broke it again) hardy as my NFS server. holding my home dir with all of my mp3's and pron and and all of the crap I download and never install.  Then I have Laurel as my NIS server and DNS for Hardy.  (I also have PPP on demand working)  so it's pertty cool!  Much better then windows dial-on-demand.  Oh and I just got my first KVM switch!  Fn' cool man!  No more haveing to switch the cables when I needed to work on the other system.

But I'm going to pack them up soon so I can ship them home so I can have them in a timely manner when I get back.  TMO (the military movers SUCK) and they are SLOW.  So I might be without a computer for a few weeks to a month!

Well I have PT in the morning so I better go...

Well just remember that every operating has a shell..
DOS's shell is the dos prompt... Window's shell is the explorer..
but yeah, we know what you mean.. just a comment there..

And I'm sure you know that NFS can be really insecure if configured improperly..

heh, anyways, just some comments that I'm sure you know.. just felt like bringing them up
"My Terminal is my Soul"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk