Judge: Kazaa can't pursue lawsuit

Started by Metgod, July 09, 2003, 03:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Comments ?  personally I'm glad.. kazaa should be shut down entirely.. It is EVIL.. it DEVOURS bandwidth with so many outbound requests...

Fuck the author.. he should be shot and I'm glad he can't sue the industry

Those are my thoughts...

And everyone else's comments ?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/08/music.ruling.ap/index.html

Judge: Kazaa can't pursue lawsuit

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) --The distributor of the Kazaa software for sharing songs, movies and other files online cannot pursue an antitrust lawsuit against major recording labels and movie studios, a federal judge ruled.

Sharman Networks made the antitrust claims in January as part of its defense of a copyright infringement suit filed by the entertainment firms.

Sharman argued that music labels and studios conspired to keep authorized and copy-protected versions of their songs and movies off Kazaa. It essentially blamed piracy on the entertainment companies, saying they failed to work with Sharman to create a legal alternative.

Not entitled to damages
U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson dismissed Sharman's claims, which many copyright lawyers had considered a stretch.

In Thursday's ruling, Wilson said that even if the allegations were true, Sharman would not be entitled to damages because it distributes file-sharing software and not online entertainment.

"Sharman Networks was grasping at straws to distract the court from their own improper behavior," said Matthew Oppenheim of the Recording Industry Association of America. "We are pleased that the court recognized what we have said all along -- that these claims lacked any merit."

The copyright claims against Sharman remain pending. Wilson previously ruled that two other file-sharing companies, StreamCast Networks and Grokster, are not to blame for any illegal copying conducted by the services' users.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I dont have an opinion. Free stuff is cool while it lasts...

wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

I have to disagree in some cases.. I mean, if you don't really know a  musician who is affected by it, then you won't really understand or care. But if you do, you'll know the real effects and you can understand why they get so angry.

Either way, kazaa is a bandwidth hog and I hate bandwidth hogs... And it is wrong to do so, I don't care for what reason.. And then there is the aspect of stealing is stealing and you really do effect some people. Keep in mind that not everyone is a huge success in that they have money to spare... It really does affect them and if nothing else,, it allows others to take credit for their work.

Met.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I see your point and ti makes sense, but "bacon tastes GOOD, pork tastes GOOD".... ;)

*pulp fiction turrets* sorry...

Wilnix
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Kazaa is a bandwidth hog because it's riddled with spyware!

And don't get me started as far as the debate of lost revenue to artists... it's bullshit. The inception of Napster actually promoted record sales.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

The Kazaa lite client is not too bad..

Torrents Torrents and more fucking TORRENTS!

I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk