Linux in the office..

Started by Zerored, February 22, 2002, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh how true that is !!!
BSD is far more stable and secure than Linux.
Hehe.

Linux kernel is no where near to BSD kernel, and everything that's been said
by Will and Neek are true:

BSD is more stable/secure
It's the admin's responsibility
etc.

blah blah... too tired to worry about this.. truth is, BSD is better than linux for being more
developed, secure, and stable....
This is a good argument to play with people on IRC who think Linux is everything... haha
EOD for now...

"My Terminal is my Soul"

And then there's system390, os/400, OpenVMS...etc...
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

Where I work we have a Redhat box on each desk mostly acting as Xwin clients for our Network Monitoring Systems.

Must say the one thing I do like about Linuxes is the nice WMs. CDE is a bit poo.

Yeah, I just got a Sun Blade 100 w/ PCi card (Win2k installed) and although it sounds REALLY great, I still prefer a FreeBSD / KDE2 desktop sitting around for all the cool stuff  ;)

Wilnix

woha, phjear the BSD pimpin' on this thread ;D

Metgod: Linux is everthing!@#!$! (j/k) but that argument we had on irc a few weeks ago was so funny  :P

All I've used is windies and linux up until now, oh and an old version of SCO Open server in collage that i'm learning c++ on in computing class. Shame its only dumb character terminals running off a 5 year old p150 compaq server  :'(

My computing teacher has been trying to convince the head peoples to allow him to teach some kids to use linux on a few of the computers around the collage but they wont let him. They nearly threw his holy compaq server in the trash but he went mad so they let him keep it, haha.

Been running slackware for about 6 months now and its one of the best linux distros i've used and learnt the most from. (I still don't know fook all though...yet). I'm learning slowly and its fun. I did "install" fBSD 4.5 on the server about 3 weeks ago but i fucked up the package installations so there's only about half of what i needed on there at the moment so i've had slackware back up for 39 days now. When i get some time i'll give it another try, this time on the workstation and see how i like it compared to slackware.

OR you could do one of two things:

1) Goto /usr/ports/somedir/portdir and type make && make install
OR if you need a lot of them installed
2) login as root or su to root then type /stand/sysinstall, goto configure, goto packages and pick them all out from there.

#1 will look for the pkg locally and if it isn't there, it will go fetch it for you AND install all pkgs required to run the proggy.
#2 will also let you chose FTP as a media type...

Good luck,

Wilnix

thanks wilnix i'll give that a try soon enough. I sooooo need another hard drive for this workstation! MP3s, movies and ISOs soon fill it all up and i want to keep my slackware install as its running smooth as a baby's rear  ;) Maybe when i get off my lazy ass and get a job i'll by another hdd, this time a BIG one like 100GB+

Have fun with that.

Wilnix

Yah... Wil's #1 option is nice. I always make sure to install the ports directory when I setup a BSD box.
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

That shoulds take care of that slackerware stuff...

;) Wilnix

Well, I'm taking the big plunge and getting FreeBSD. I've been running Mandrake, but after all the plugging for BSD I figure I've got to see what this is all about. Any succinct on-line beginners guides? I should look BEFORE I ask that, but shit I'm at work and I'm out of coffee money. It's a cruel, cruel world!
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

Never mind, I found about a bizillion sources on BSD. All it took was going to FreeBSD.net, Hey! I said I didn't have money for coffee :'( !   ;D
Godaigo

Well... this being the linux board... and me stating that I don't really mind SuSE... and since Godiago is already using Mandrake, I figured this link might be of interest to some people... I plan on buying SuSE 8 when it comes out to check it out...  :P

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-862168.html
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

That looks pretty interesting. I was suprised that the latest X-server release (at least in Mandrake) didn't really support 3D graphics, I think OpenGL, but I'm not sure. It was quite a surprise when I had to use an earlier version to get alot my games to work, or at least run faster than a drunk snail. Should be interesting to see how far the ease of use progresses. Has anyone taken a look at the National Security Agency's Linux distro???
Godaigo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk