hackers ?

Started by Metgod, November 14, 2003, 04:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i think the problem lies in the difference between int and long in C, and its probably the same in other languages. On a 32-bit system the 2 keywords can be used interchangibly.

On a 64-bit system, they can not be, so code that has been written using long numbers but the int keyword, no longer compile or give unpredictable results.

Actually, it depends on how you look at it; long doesn't have to be the same size as an int. sizeof is thus very useful (at least if you want to be as portable as possible). It's definitely not guaranteed in the standard.

See this for more details:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq.com/decl/inttypes.html

Certainly though, sizes of types is an issue. See also the Linux man page for accept(2) (section NOTE).

I honestly can't remember every detail of things breaking, because my 64 bit system is currently down (my board sucked so I took it apart and getting a new one).
"My Terminal is my Soul"

It seems like you could (and I may be revealing my complete ignorance here) run some sort of cast operation at the compiler level, so as to change those values to work with the 64-bit. Obviously that wouldn't be an easy thing to do, but maybe easier than rewriting all that code or modifying those variables globally?
Godaigo
All's fair in Love and Brewing.

Honestly can't recall. But, I'm getting my 64 bit system back up, and I might (not sure yet) install the 64 bit OS (gentoo amd64 most likely). If I do, I'll let you know. Might be good to have it on the system for experimenting though.

"My Terminal is my Soul"

I'm new here too. Mr. Tippet's mom says I am cool!

>=]~
alt email address: wilnix@hackphreak.org

hmm..how do yall like those 64 bit cpus?

and, during my hiatus..did any of yall meet at defcon?

or..are you all scared that the person you are talking to behind this  screen is a hairy transvestite billygoat rapist?

Well.. it's fast, and nice.

I don't really like the 64 bit OS yet but that's another story. Although I must say gentoo amd64 isn't bad.

As for defcon.. I'm afraid you'll not likely catch me there.

And the reasons are several... among them I'm rather much agoraphobic..

"My Terminal is my Soul"

hfxcon..did one ever get going?

Nope
"My Terminal is my Soul"

heh what status is it in? will it ever surface or...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk