Triple Booting....

Started by godaigo, March 29, 2002, 12:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
ive got a 20gig win2k part on a forty gig hdd.

FreeBSD for your third OS!  You can use one "Disk Slice" and assign mount points within it for your file system...
*** Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine. ***

well, i was still gonna run free, but when i tried to install the final 0s, suse, i got the 1024 error...now im irritated. Ive got a 40gighdd, with 20 for win 2k, and ive got mandrake in there with like 8, and i tried to install suse 7.0 and thats when i got the error. What gives? Then it asked me if i wanted to correct/fix that in the suse install. But how? Ive looked for txt files but still havent really found anything referring to this, most keep talking about a boot program (part magic), which i dont want to use.

Here's what you do... (What I had to do...)

Because of the 1024 Cylinder limitation you have to be somewhat sneaky with the way you do your partitions.

If you have 40 gigs to work with, and you want to use 20 for Win...

Create like a 4 gig "System" partition for Windows where the OS will sit.

Then install Linux where your boot partition also sits before 1024... all you need is less than 512 MB for your / mount...

Then install FreeBSD keeping it's boot slice still under 1024.

From there you can go back to Windows and create an Extended partition for your Apps/Data. Etc...

I know this is kinda confusing, but once you find the right combination on partition sizes / file system types, it works. I suggest using a utility like Partition Magic just so you can visually see where that 1024 Cyl sits and you can plan out your partitioning scheme prior to installing any of the OS's...

That's somewhat what I did, and it worked great.

Hope this helps a little and that I didn't confuse you more... hehe :P

oh my goamx// i havce dno idea what you nare on abot. I am whay to dunk o make anyw sence of this conversaion.,
I am not suffering with insanity... I am loving every minute of it.

thanx, so once ive made my win(4 gig), mandrake(8gig), and suse OR bsd (whatevers left, just want to get it under the 1024) then i can add my extra part for the rest of win? (the rest of the 15-16 gigs) Now, can i do that, make it an extention(the 15-16 gigs) in fdisk? Dont have part magic.
and cobby...how many fingers am i holding up? ::)

If you use 8 gigs for your Mandrake partition, it may be too large and go over the 1024 cylinder... That's why I was saying a third party utility like Partition Magic which shows you where the 1024 lies in relation to the size of the disk. You may have to play with it to keep it under if you do it the old fashioned way. Good luck!

First off, mandrake seems to be easier to install period. But, i tried something different. I tried to install suse SECOND, after windows, but every time i got and error, and i kept it under the 1024 mark even. Id create just a boo (/boot) and a root (/) partition, and then installed it. The problem im consistently getting is 2 (suse 6.4, and suse 7.0) errors. The first would be two RPM installation errors, and password cant be set, linux cant boot....like EVERY time on each version of suse. Now, im getting pissed off at this point. Its seriously irritating. Considering windows and mandrake were a breeze to install. any takerz on what the hell?

okay, but neek, if i have an 8gig partition, 4 goes to win, which i can make an extention, 2 for man, and 2 for freebsd, then what? When do i make the extra partitions for freebsd and mandrake? Also, i heard about a new lilo which also can defeat the new 1024 cly limit. But when do you add the new lilo if the normal install only sees the 1024?...err scratch that...any way, do you see where im goin with this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk